We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eurail Pass

Navi Mumbai, India
Eurail Pass

Hi,

I am planning to travel to Paris - Rome - Florence - Venice - Interlaken - Zurich - Lucerne in May -June 2011.. if i bass Eurail Pass,. can i travel within say Italy and switzerland with that pass or do i have to buy separate Swiss pass or Italy Pass.. in short, whether Eurail Pass is intercountry pass or i can travel within country..

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
21. Re: Eurail Pass

A Eurail pass is not a pain to use in Italy, where there are no quotas for pass holders, and where you can avoid lines by making pass reservations at ticket machines.

It is, however, still a waste of money for most tourists.

22. Re: Eurail Pass

We had a Eurail pass for France and Spain. The trips we pre booked from Australia worked well. Getting tickets when we were in France was a problem. Very few station staff in regional towns spoke any English, and the seats available were very limited. We had bought First class tickets, but found little difference between classes. In Paris we bought a return ticket from Paris to Reims, but found at Reims the wrong ticket had been issued for our return, and the next train had no pass tickets available, despite there being plenty of spare seats. We had our booking charge of 18 euros refunded, but had to pay for 2nd class seats (60 euros), or take an extra 2hrs to get back to Paris. And it was the railways mistake! Customer service for tourists definitely needs improvement.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
reviews: 8
23. Re: Eurail Pass

If you had to pre-book then you knew your itinerary and it would have therefore been a lot cheaper to book your tickets point-to-point. You'll know for next time!

Edited: 9:10 am, July 29, 2013
Cape Coral, Florida
reviews: 6
24. Re: Eurail Pass

Jeanie, If you had bought and printed your tickets at this site http://en.voyages-sncf.com/en/ from Australia using Antartica as your country and not using a middleman you would probably have paid about the same price for the entire ticket without a pass, including your seat reservation, as you paid just for your seat reservation. Plus you have the cost of your pass. Buy and print tickets 2 to 3 months before travel for lowest prices. My tickets from Paris to Strasbourg on the German border was a total of 19 euros. From Zurich to Paris was a total of 25 euros. No pass, no additional fees or reservation costs, and no hassle because of limited pass holder seats.

25. Re: Eurail Pass

Thanks for all that, but because we were staying with family our arrangements were fluid. I agree that booking from Australia is the way to go, but it doesn't excuse poor customer service.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
reviews: 8
26. Re: Eurail Pass

It wasn't the fault of the railway company, but it is an inherent fault with the pass in that the number of passholder places is limited per train in France. Eurail doesn't make this clear.

27. Re: Eurail Pass

I don't want to turn this into a saga, but if a ticket office prints an incorrect ticket, then they should fix the mistake at no inconvenience to the customer, regardless of rules applying to passes.

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 24
28. Re: Eurail Pass

"and the next train had no pass tickets available, despite there being plenty of spare seats"

that is a consequence of the policy on passholder quota

"We had bought First class tickets, but found little difference between classes"

that is Eurail marketing designed to mislead passengers

29. Re: Eurail Pass

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:24 am, August 01, 2014