We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

European Rotation Opportunity

Seattle, Washington
European Rotation Opportunity

Hello All!

I am currently applying for a global rotation opportunity within the company I work for. For the application I have to select a top three list among the available locations. It has always been a dream for my fiancé and I to travel abroad and this is really a great opportunity to do it and get paid. I will be there for 3-4 months and we plan to take every weekend and holidays to explore various parts of Europe. We are both un-experienced when it comes to traveling over-seas and are really looking for some recommendations so we can narrow our list down to three.

Here are the locations:

Brussels, Belgium

Warsaw, Poland

Berlin, Germany

Rome, Italy

Amsterdamn, Netherlands

Madrid, Spain

Hounslow, England

London, England

Any suggestions, advice, tips, etc… would be great.

Thanks!

6 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
reviews: 58
1. Re: European Rotation Opportunity

Hi,

It's a very broad question which will obviously be influenced by your interests and preferences - as well as activities you wish to do on your days off. A great majority of those cities have other countries/cities within easy access by train and flight, so your leisure options are certainly 'plentiful' - although that travel consideration may not necessarily be your first priority. The time of year/season in which you do your rotation would have some influence also.

If it were myself, (on the assumption that the workplace and living structure is well supported by your company) I would immediately eliminate the two UK cities. It's stating the obvious, but they are English speaking locations, and coming from an English speaking country, I think the whole 'cultural' experience wouldn't be as significant. From the remaining list of cities, I would select (in no particular order), Berlin, Amsterdam, and Rome. And if I was pushed to change the three, I'd include Brussels and remove Berlin. These 'top three' are based on my interests (again in no particular order) of history, culture, accessibility, food (not so much in Berlin). Again, it's based on my preferences.

I think you'll get quite a varied response, and I can immediately see the argument 'for' London, especially if you are not so confident with foreign travel/cultures. But no matter where you decide, I'm sure it'll be a brilliant experience

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
reviews: 80
2. Re: European Rotation Opportunity

I spent a year in The Hague. Amsterdam itself is not all that nice, but there are plenty of smaller towns around that offer great opportunity to live with short commutes.

From that list I would select Berlin, London, and Brussels. Don't forget to look atthe cost of living and the tax rates you will have to pay.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
reviews: 81
3. Re: European Rotation Opportunity

Is Hounslow a real choice? It's not a very good area near Heathrow Airport. That one is to avoided for sure.

London would be the most cosmopolitan and probably the easiest place to get settled since you won't even have a language issue. However, you will be across the channel from Continental Europe so it's a little further away if you want to spend weekends visiting other countries.

Berlin, Rome, Amsterdam are great choices. Madrid is nice as well but you will be further away from other parts of Europe although it might have a lower cost vs others on your list.

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for St Barthelemy
reviews: 374
4. Re: European Rotation Opportunity

Brussels, Amsterdam and Berlin would be the best if you are looking to explore other locations every weekend as they are the most centrally located. All three are also cosmopolitan cities so would not present too many issues for an inexperienced American abroad.

Of course, London would be the easiest cultural fit. I agree with sammyfloyd, avoid Hounslow, its not a particularly appealing suburb of London....

Delphi,Greece
Destination Expert
for Delphi
reviews: 87
5. Re: European Rotation Opportunity

On my own thinking, exploring all over the place is not a priority. You could pick a certain area and enjoy in depth. I would go for Madrid, Warsaw and Brussels. Less obvious choices for a visitor but decently connected on trains to other destinations and there are always some flights too. For example polish railways are not the best in the world but still there are many diverse locations connected to Warsaw on train, ideal for weekend escapes . From Madrid you can explore various parts of Spain and even Portugal or France. There are nice surrounding towns to Brussels and you can certainly explore surrounding countries using this city as a base. Deffinately lots of scenery and different cultures on all three areas.

London, United...
reviews: 130
6. Re: European Rotation Opportunity

If I were to choose one from the list, it would be Brussels. It is an interesting city in its own right but also centrally located with good rail connections to France, Germany, etc. Also it is a very international city without being too touristy and expensive.

Reply to: European Rotation Opportunity
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions