We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Uber

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
reviews: 307
Uber

https://www.uber.com/ looks like a nice service (well, at least according to their website!). But I have no clue how it is in reality. Any personal experience to share?

Thanks

59 replies to this topic
Appleton, Wisconsin
reviews: 91
41. Re: Uber

We used Uber several times in Washington DC. The car arrived very quickly. Of course, we could see the estimated charges before ordering the car. The drivers were super friendly and helpful. After each trip we received a summary of the trip. The map tracks the route that was taken. Our drivers knew the best possible route. We could even "see" the car approaching our location on my phone. The driver does not have control of the fees charged. I did not have to carry cash and the driver didn't either. I love Uber. I'll use it wherever it it available instead of a cab.

San Francisco...
reviews: 10
42. Re: Uber

I think you may be missing the point. I have several Uber trips under my belt and most are fine but when he makes bigs "mistakes" you will pay because you don't auth the trip upon completion. Trust me, it's a plum environment for driver fraud.

Washington DC...
reviews: 65
43. Re: Uber

A great service - truly - download the app, go get a meal, log on to the app and tell them you need a ride, and a few minutes later your ride is there. No payment - the fare and the tip are automatically billed to your credit car and you get an email receipt. Used it in DC and SanFrancisco, fabulous service.

Manchester, United...
reviews: 13
44. Re: Uber

Why would you use the services of a company with this in their T&C's?

The company may introduce you to third party transportation providers for the purposes of providing Transportation we will not assess the suitability, legality or ability of any third party transportation providers and you release the company from any and all any liability, claims or damages arising from or in any way related to the the third party transportation provider.

Manchester, United...
reviews: 13
45. Re: Uber

And this,

The quality of the transportation services scheduled through the use of the server or application is entirely the responsibility of the third party provider who ultimately provides such transportation services to you. You understand therefore, that by using the application and the service, you may be exposed to transportation that is potentially dangerous offensive harmful to minors unsafe or otherwise objectionable and that you use the application and the service at your own risk

46. Re: Uber

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 1:36 pm, August 25, 2014

47. Re: Uber

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 1:36 pm, August 25, 2014

Washington DC...
reviews: 50
48. Re: Uber

I've used Uber X in the DC area now many times. Some cars and drivers will be amazingly nice but others will be just average (like any normal taxi). The service is overall amazing though - always cheaper than normal taxi rates, you can see where the cars are on your app and drop a pin where they are to pick you up. None of the cars or drivers I've been with are worse than normal taxis, but some can be vastly better - ie we got picked up last night by a guy in a luxury BMW that felt and looked almost brand new... he was amazingly nice and it smelled wonderful in there, like a spa. Not all experiences are that nice, but overall I would use it over normal taxis any day because of the ease of use, convenience, overall service, and price.

49. Re: Uber

Removed on: 3:06 pm, September 08, 2014

Waterloo, Belgium
reviews: 385
50. Re: Uber

I work for a big multanional.

Uber is forbidden to use probably for things Ian B clearly explained : the car crashes, it turns out the driver has no insurance, what do you do ?

Taxis (at least in Paris) have a full civil responsaibility insurance.

Reply to: Uber
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions