We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Uber

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
reviews: 301
Uber

https://www.uber.com/ looks like a nice service (well, at least according to their website!). But I have no clue how it is in reality. Any personal experience to share?

Thanks

59 replies to this topic
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
reviews: 182
1. Re: Uber

There are several posts over at milepoint and flyertalk - just do a google search and restrict it to those websites. Also a blog: http://blog.uber.com/ And Facebook, Twitter, too..

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel
reviews: 39
2. Re: Uber

The concept of alternate distribution is clever enough and could be worth a dabble for personal use. Not convinced for business or corporate use when clients are involved - you should never be booking transportation that late anyways, that's simply amateurish.

I've read through some of the blogs and it comes across to me like a mass Sales & Markering campaign, all written by professional journalists, not users.

Most interested but will wait until the long term results are in.

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
3. Re: Uber

I am with you for airport pick-ups (unless they have access to a number of cars based at the airport). Now there is also the in-town service that is worth having a look at... Take Paris for instance: when you are aware of the kindness of the local taxi drivers, using a service like Uber sounds like a pretty good alternative...

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
4. Re: Uber

Absolutely agree Swissdiver, for a location such as Paris, it could very well be a brilliant alternative. Like yourself, I'd be extremely interested to hear first hand experiences.

Edited: 3:14 am, June 13, 2013
Cincinnati
reviews: 68
5. Re: Uber

Used Uber extensively in SanFrancisco where cabs hover only downtown and at the airport. Nice clean cars, polite friendly drivers. The longest we waited was 15 minutes when one car cancelled and the ap had to find another to the airport. I used the Uber Ap on my cell phone and it was so easy! When we go back to SF will use again and will check for it in other cities. Made my life much easier and more comfortable!!!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
6. Re: Uber

Thanks for the feedback Gungadin, that's a fair endorsement of Uber's services in San Francisco.

I'll be over there in the latter half of the year, so I must give it a shot on a 'not urgent' basis and see how it goes.

Edited: 2:46 am, June 19, 2013
Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
7. Re: Uber

Thanks all. Yes, I might well try it in Chicago next month... I'd let you know.

Mexico City, Mexico
reviews: 175
8. Re: Uber

It's a pretty nice service, tried in Mexico City, and it's pretty nice to be transported in elegant cars,there is a promo of a 10 USD credit, might work for you http://www.uber.com/invite/qaitf .

Riga, Latvia
reviews: 2
9. Re: Uber

On Facebook they have 72 000 likes :) Maybe not bad service ;)

London, England...
10. Re: Uber

Uber has been gaining popularity in London and just this week they launched UberX - the low cost version (bmw 3 series etc) which I think will really take off bc it will be 30% less than a black cab.

rolllikeboss.com/2013/07/uber-private-cars-g…

I think the effectiveness of Uber probably depends on the city you are in but in London it definitely works well!

Have a look on google for a £20 sign up credit... there are a few out there...

Reply to: Uber
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions