We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cashback Websites and Loyalty Programmes

Harrogate UK
Cashback Websites and Loyalty Programmes

Just wondering if anyone has found out the nice or nasty way if hotels refuse Loyalty programmes when the booking has been made by a broker / discount website etc?

I am thinking of using hotels.com to book an IHG property in July this year. Although the IHG website is offering the place £4 cheaper, I get 10% cashback with Hotels.com which will equate to £87. When I check in with my reservation and show them my Priority Club card will they accept it or say "Your rate/ booking does not allow Priority Club perks"?

I'm putting this in the business section as all you frequent travellers might know the answer already?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
reviews: 58
1. Re: Cashback Websites and Loyalty Programmes

With the IHG Priority Club, the wording of the terms and conditions is quite clear, but they use what's known as a QRR - Qualifying Room Rate - and they don't list what is and isn't, because it is too extensive and it changes depending on numerous factors. So where you book has no relevance, as long as you meet the correct QRR, and is not a wholesale rate booked via a travel agent, or a package deal - which is in your case neither.

Best you give them a quick call or email and simply ask.

Also you mentioned;

>>>Priority Club perks<<<

Don't get this confused with earning points. What you receive in terms of "perks" as a member is different from whether your rate is entitled to points. For example, if you're staying at an InterCon property, even if you don't qualify for points, you still have access to free Internet.

Again, just make a point of checking with them if you are concerned. For my money, I'd be calculating how many points your likely to earn for your entire stay, to contribute towards room redemption, versus the outright £87. If you've already got a bunch of points accrued, the guaranteed extra points may entitle you to a hotel room worth more than the £87

Edited: 2:07 pm, April 14, 2013
Harrogate UK
2. Re: Cashback Websites and Loyalty Programmes

KVE - thank you very much for highlighting valid points and I will e-mail hotels.com and see what they have to say for themselves.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
3. Re: Cashback Websites and Loyalty Programmes

Absolute pleasure.

But I think you should be contacting IHG first, and if you don't get a firm reply, contact the hotel your wishing to book directly.

Best of luck.

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
reviews: 362
4. Re: Cashback Websites and Loyalty Programmes

Btw, the "Qualifying Room Rate" concept exist in many hotel loyalty programs, as it makes sense. And I would go straight to the hotel, especially with Priority Club since it is the hotel that decides.

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
5. Re: Cashback Websites and Loyalty Programmes

This raises another question regarding the Guaranteed Best Price (ihg.com/hotels/…bwc_lp): how the discount works? In other words, could you claim you had a better price with hotel.com or not. If you can, you'd get a free night!

Edited: 5:28 am, April 16, 2013
6. Re: Cashback Websites and Loyalty Programmes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 1:35 am, July 10, 2013
Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for Saint Augustine
reviews: 24
7. Re: Cashback Websites and Loyalty Programmes

If you are considering an IHG property, try to get the Family & Friends rate. Details here: flyertalk.com/forum/hotel-deals/943529-ihg-h…

You won't get points, but the lower rate may make up for it.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
8. Re: Cashback Websites and Loyalty Programmes

>>>If you are considering an IHG property, try to get the Family & Friends rate<<<

If you have family and friends working for IHG.

People have previously asked about this, as to whether they can do the "promo code" thing, as it's booked online. What many don't discuss is the small clause that states the IHG employee must be travelling with you. Many hotels will ask not only for the confirmation, but also the employee ID for verification. Some even ask for a signed letter of verification from the HR department of the property that employs them.

Even then the discounts are minimal, and the rates can change without notification.

Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for Saint Augustine
reviews: 24
9. Re: Cashback Websites and Loyalty Programmes

I used it (in Oz) and was only asked to produce the certificate. Unless the rules have changed, this may not be a problem for you. Read the (long) thread to the end. There is no way of knowing if there will be a savings for you, but do the math and decide.

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
10. Re: Cashback Websites and Loyalty Programmes

Well, Orlando, beyond the risk of having to produce en employee ID, there is the ethical question...

Get answers to your questions