We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Health conscious business travelers ??

Holland
reviews: 8
Health conscious business travelers ??

I travel a lot for work, and have noticed that many hotels claim to have a fitness center, but in fact have a small room, 2-3 poorly maintained machines, in short - not anything I would even remotely equate with a decent gym.

Food is another issue... in some places you can only get fast food, or snacks (personally I prefer to go hungry then), and no supermarket in sight....

I was hoping that we can start a small sub-forum here of health conscious work-travelers, so we can inform each other where are suitable places to stay on different continents / countries.

Traveling for work does not leave much of free choice, and if you really do not want to end up as one of those stories "He just had a heart attack one day and passed away" we can at least do the best we can with what we have...

Anyone here thinking the same on this issue ??

19 replies to this topic
Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
reviews: 269
11. Re: Health conscious business travelers ??

TravellingBritNY,

Interesting approach! But wouldn't work for me. I love cooking for my family, but for me alone, it turns quickly into junk food. Going to a restaurant (something I learn to do on my own as well), I have more chances to eat a well balanced meal...

Newmarket, Canada
reviews: 36
12. Re: Health conscious business travelers ??

TravellingBritNY,

I've also tried to do that before, but most of the time, it just doesn't work out for me. Often, I don't have much choice in where I stay. Maybe it's a conference or a group of us from the office travelling and everyone staying at the same place, and normally that means no kitchen facilities available. Other times, there might not be a grocery store around, and I don't always have a rental car on my trips (depending on where I'm going). The other problem is often the accepted convention is to have dinner with the client or customer. At that point, I'm at the mercy of whatever healthy options are on the menu at the chosen place. And depending on the evenings entertainment, sometimes the chosen place is the concession stand at a hockey arena or ballbark, and that doesn't normally turn out to be very healthy!

Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse
reviews: 69
13. Re: Health conscious business travelers ??

Oh I agree - sometimes you don't have a choice - I'm just trying to find ways to have better options when I *do* have a choice, to make up for the delicious ballpark food... *grin* I know it doesn't work each trip, but it's something to bear in mind....

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
reviews: 77
14. Re: Health conscious business travelers ??

Yes, that's what I do too TravellingBritNY. I ask the hotel to empty out the mini bar so I can use it, or in the case of the touch-it-and-it-is-bought mini-bars, I get them to bring me a separate fridge. That way I can go to my favourite places and buy groceries... Green Valley Grocery in West London, or the farmer's market in Adelaide. Now if I could only avoid buying pepperoni and chips...

Manila, Philippines
15. Re: Health conscious business travelers ??

I understand your worry but isn't it time consuming for you if you have to buy food stuffs from a supermarket and cook it before you eat it? When traveling for business, time is very hectic so we can't do all things that we want to ensure a healthy lifestyle.

San Jose
Destination Expert
for California
reviews: 74
16. Re: Health conscious business travelers ??

I find that the hardest part of eating well on the road is when food it catered for meetings. Breakfast and snacks tend to be full of sugar and low on nutrition - even the "healthy" options are things like yogurt loaded with sugar or bagels and cream cheese - which are only marginally better than the muffins and pastries :-) At least there is some fruit, usually. Lunches tend to be better - some veggies and/or salad, lean meats, etc. - at least with the meetings I go to.

When I am not in meetings with catered food, I am generally able to find something good. I don't generally shop for food ahead of time to have in my room - usually only if I am going to be someplace for several days, which doesn't happen often. It seems that more and more restaurants are offering healthier choices though, so its not so bad.

17. Re: Health conscious business travelers ??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11:06 am, October 09, 2013

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
reviews: 182
18. Re: Health conscious business travelers ??

Why a new forum? Why not just post into this forum, which is not super busy by any assessment?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney
reviews: 31
19. Re: Health conscious business travelers ??

>>>This is what I do for a living<<<

A quick question.

What is the competition like in your line of work? Hundreds, thousands?

I'm gathering its Lifestyle Management, I've met a few merchant bankers and top end corporates who use such services.

What are the qualifications necessary for this type of work? Is there like a governing body you're registered with?

Edited: 10:27 am, October 06, 2013
Reply to: Health conscious business travelers ??
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions