We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Health conscious business travelers ??

Holland
reviews: 8
Health conscious business travelers ??

I travel a lot for work, and have noticed that many hotels claim to have a fitness center, but in fact have a small room, 2-3 poorly maintained machines, in short - not anything I would even remotely equate with a decent gym.

Food is another issue... in some places you can only get fast food, or snacks (personally I prefer to go hungry then), and no supermarket in sight....

I was hoping that we can start a small sub-forum here of health conscious work-travelers, so we can inform each other where are suitable places to stay on different continents / countries.

Traveling for work does not leave much of free choice, and if you really do not want to end up as one of those stories "He just had a heart attack one day and passed away" we can at least do the best we can with what we have...

Anyone here thinking the same on this issue ??

1. Re: Health conscious business travelers ??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 5:05 am, March 30, 2013
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
reviews: 181
2. Re: Health conscious business travelers ??

Are you not finding the right answers or advice within the individual destination forums or hotel reviews for the locations you visit? I don't think there is one single hotel (globally) that meets all your needs, so I think the locals usually know best. My opinion.

3. Re: Health conscious business travelers ??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 5:05 am, March 30, 2013
Pittsburgh...
reviews: 59
4. Re: Health conscious business travelers ??

I find the influx of smart phones enabling people to easily take pictures of their hotel and post to sites like trip advisor help me the most. I am a big supporter of doing my part and contributing pictures on my reviews as much as possible. It's fine to read the reviews, but you have to do your part and take pictures for your reviews too!

Holland
reviews: 8
5. Re: Health conscious business travelers ??

yes - excellent - from my side it's a go.

I mostly use booking.com and find that many hotels that fall under the category of having a gym, have only a few pieces and sometimes also in a poor state.

As for the earlier post, asking if I don't get sufficient info in the forums - not really - most travelers and holiday makers are not really into it (which is their choice to make), to me my health is a top priority and I know of too many people who travel often for work and neglect their health... Some end up dropping dead way too young and I simply don't plan to end up that way... :)

I think work-travelers are a crowd apart - we don't choose to go where / when and deal with different circumstances...

We might as well work together on this ;)

Bangkok, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
reviews: 80
6. Re: Health conscious business travelers ??

At a minimum, keep the thread live here and we will see how many people participate. (as I sit responding to posts from a first class lounge while eating pulled pork sandwiches and udon soup.)

Edited: 12:14 am, March 30, 2013
Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
reviews: 364
7. Re: Health conscious business travelers ??

I am (unfortunately) not (yet?) into that subject, not having a healthy traveling life other than trying to eat properly. I think however a dedicated sub-forum might not really help since the facilities offered by hotels vary immensely from one property to another. So, LG2004, you'll probably find the information you need between the hotels' reviews on TA and the relevant local forum.

When it comes to how to be healthy, this might be a bit out of TA's scope. I am sure however many dedicated websites exist...

Pittsburgh...
reviews: 59
8. Re: Health conscious business travelers ??

You may also try FlyerTalk- it has a huge hotel forum and is not a site used by inexperienced/holiday travelers.

Newmarket, Canada
reviews: 35
9. Re: Health conscious business travelers ??

Staying healthy while travelling on business has long been a difficulty for me. I find fitness centers in hotels are not the main problem (many aren't great, but they can usually make do), but rather finding healthy food is the biggest problem I encounter.

I'm not a health nut by any stretch, but I try to watch what I eat. I find that getting healthy meals is not just a problem for business travel, but travel in general--even in my home town where I know all of the restaurants around, it's tough eating right--if I want a healthy meal, I generally make it in my own kitchen! When travelling on business, where time is limited and location is often beyond my control, I do feel a little helpless. At conferences where food is often provided during short breaks with very little choice on the menu, it gets really difficult. Combine that with a hectic schedule, and time zone changes that mess with your sleep and eating patterns, and it is certainly a formula for an unhealthy lifestyle.

Other than trying to limit the number of business trips I have to take (and I do push back at every travel request), I'm not sure if there's a great solution. If anyone's got some great tips, I'd be interested to hear them.

Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse
reviews: 86
10. Re: Health conscious business travelers ??

On the healthier food options front...

What I have taken to doing for longer business trips (more than one night away) is to stay in the "extended stay" type places where I have a full fridge and kitchen. The first quick stop is to the grocery store where I pick up exactly the foods that *I* want to eat - especially breakfast, but also lunches if I can go back for lunch, and some lighter dinners to offset the larger meals that I have when I am out entertaining or being entertained.

I have found that this works out comparably to hotels and eating out for every meal, and gets me the food that I want when I want it.

I'd be interested if anyone else has done this and how they found it.