We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Luggage that lasts

Rochester, New...
Luggage that lasts

I'm starting a new job which requires at least 75% travel. I currently own a Samsonite garment bag that needs replacing. I was looking at the Rimowa polycarbonate bags thinking I can get 5 years our of them. What do you guys think? Go cheaper and plan on replacing, or go expensive and only buy once?

I did read a few comments about the wheels on 4 wheel spinner luggage, not sure of other brands but with Rimowa the wheels are easily replaceable. You can them, they send you a wheel, you change it out.

26 replies to this topic
Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 57
11. Re: Luggage that lasts

i have been traveling with Rimowas for some years now and love the light weight quality of these pieces. Any problems are fixed thanks to good warranty.

12. Re: Luggage that lasts

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:45 pm, December 30, 2013

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
reviews: 181
13. Re: Luggage that lasts

<Really? Your Tumi fell apart?>

Really, you decided to awaken a post that's over 9 months old to add a comment that doesn't even make sense?? No one who has previously posted on this thread is claiming their Tumi fell apart.

14. Re: Luggage that lasts

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10:35 am, December 12, 2013

Phoenix, AZ
reviews: 187
15. Re: Luggage that lasts

I will give a +1 for Tumi.

I have their garment bag, that has accumulated about 800K miles. TSA does love to unzip the outer compartments, and I did have one hang on the equipment at HNL, but though the unit was 10 years old, Tumi repaired it, at zero charge!

We have a dozen Tumi pieces, and love that when something, like a zipper pull gets ripped off, I can drop it off at our Tumi store, and have it repaired very quickly.

All of ours are "soft-sided," and in the Alpha line, so cannot comment on other designs. We normally travel with one of the wheelie-cubes, with my garment bag attached to that, and my wife uses her rolling garment bag. Our Tumi briefcases will slip over the handles, and we can travel to several climate zones, on a single trip, with just those pieces.

New Delhi, India
reviews: 23
16. Re: Luggage that lasts

+1 for Rimowa. I've used Tumi for years and havent had an issue with them either but the Rimowa is lighter and feels more durable.

17. Re: Luggage that lasts

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 8:38 am, November 11, 2014

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 57
18. Re: Luggage that lasts

Oh dear, this thread is a few years old. Hopefully the post above helps someone out there....

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
reviews: 181
19. Re: Luggage that lasts

<Hopefully the post above helps someone out there....>

I suspect that the only reason to "wake up" such an old post is that the poster in #17 is to advertise. I've reported it.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel
reviews: 229
20. Re: Luggage that lasts

I agree and I have also reported that post.

Reply to: Luggage that lasts
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions