We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Luggage that lasts

Rochester, New...
2 posts
Luggage that lasts

I'm starting a new job which requires at least 75% travel. I currently own a Samsonite garment bag that needs replacing. I was looking at the Rimowa polycarbonate bags thinking I can get 5 years our of them. What do you guys think? Go cheaper and plan on replacing, or go expensive and only buy once?

I did read a few comments about the wheels on 4 wheel spinner luggage, not sure of other brands but with Rimowa the wheels are easily replaceable. You can them, they send you a wheel, you change it out.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
316 posts
58 reviews
1. Re: Luggage that lasts

I would highly suggest Tumi as your primary luggage. I own 5 pieces of Tumi luggage and travel 60-80% for my job as well for the last 5 years. The Tumi that is 4 years old still looks brand new to this day.

Okay, so you are going to have some sticker shock, but trust me- you will understand the value of good luggage when a cheapie Samsonite busts open mid-trip and you are calling the hotel for duct tape so you can get your stuff home. Tumi is a luxury luggage brand and the quality and service are second to none.

Briggs and Riley is a good brand that's a little less expensive. It's also worth considering.

BTW, keep the receipts. If used exclusively for business the cost if your luggage is tax deductible.

Edited: 2:26 pm, March 16, 2013
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
14,258 posts
193 reviews
2. Re: Luggage that lasts

First, a few basics. There is a search function here and you can probably bring up some posts by searching on luggage. There is also a Travel Gadgets & Gear forum here on TripAdvisor, where your post probably should belong. But, the previous poster has good suggestions. I have a 20" Tumi roller that I like a lot. I also have a 22" Kirkland (Costco) bag - and the one time something went wrong (handle issue), they exchanged it free of charge.

Rochester, New...
2 posts
3. Re: Luggage that lasts

I used the search function and I didn't see an answer I was looking for. I was just wondering if something like a Rimowa or Tumi is worth the money. The choice is either buy cheaper with plans to replace, or buy expensive with hopes that it outlasts a few cheapos.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
14,258 posts
193 reviews
4. Re: Luggage that lasts

Another "Luggage that Lasts" post in this forum:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i12407-k5020288…

Search on the word Luggage in the Travel Gadgets & Gear forum:

www.tripadvisor.com/SearchForums…

Search on Tumi in the Travel Gadgets & Gear forum:

Search on Rimowa in the Travel Gadgets & Gear forum:

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
316 posts
58 reviews
5. Re: Luggage that lasts

IMHO, Tumi is absolutely worth the money. (I have no experience with Rimowa because matching luggage is important to me.)

That Samsonite (or whatever you buy on sale at Macy's or Penny's) will last you about 1-2 years traveling every week. The longest I've had a Tumi is 4 years, but I know guys that have a 10 year old Tumi briefcase still looking fantastic. So if you do the math, at first you think the Samsonite is the better deal... But trust me, it's not. Somethings are priceless and my time and my sanity are priceless. Your time will be too when the only time you see your family is on Saturday and Sunday- you won't want to spend that time going to the mall to get a new bag. Your time during connections is also priceless time to get work done- you won't want to be picking up your bloomers off of a moving sidewalk with people rushing by. My sanity was really tested when I had to drag a suitcase home after a wheel busts in half halfway through a trip, when the TSA insisted on opening my duct taped bag with the broken zipper because of a hole puncher and all the times a blouse got snagged because of a bad zipper. Cheap luggage just isn't worth it.

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
Level Contributor
4,258 posts
432 reviews
6. Re: Luggage that lasts

Another one for Tumi. I was reluctant to invest such an amount. But now I have one, I do understand why it is more expensive. Fully worth it!

If you don't want to go for that kind of prices, try Travelpro. I use a couple of them for many years and appreciate its robustness.

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
3,371 posts
7. Re: Luggage that lasts

see the latest luggage tests from Samsonite

Google following " CNN BUSINESS TRAVELLER "

see.........." Samsonite's Luggage Test '

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
103 posts
1 review
8. Re: Luggage that lasts

Hi Ring0rosie,

I recommend you invest on a luggage that lasts for years. My pick would be Tumi since it is made from Tegris used by soldiers for body armor. It is the most durable luggage at the moment.

Happy Travels,

You Friend,

James @ BackpackerUniverse

Buffalo, New York
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
1,104 posts
24 reviews
9. Re: Luggage that lasts

I will always use Tumi, the Alpha bag I have had for years is still holding up great. They make lighter versions of it but until it is no longer functioning why replace it. And I never go over my weight limit.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
28,542 posts
863 reviews
10. Re: Luggage that lasts

I differ in opinion. - Buy cheap & replace when needed...... We travel frequently & have tried most brands & have found they all fall apart...... especially the expensive ones.