We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to Pack, vacation butting up against business travel

Indiana
reviews: 60
How to Pack, vacation butting up against business travel

I will be traveling with my family in October to Germany and Poland for a family holiday. We will be spending approximately two weeks. I tend to be a reasonable packer. My husband and I will share one large suitcase for the trip.

I have recently learned that I will need to head straight to Japan from Germany to meet up with colleagues at our Japanese office. I really do not want to take my business clothes with me during my family vacation, nor do I want to lug around my vacation clothes while in Japan for business. I am sure someone has run into this. Any ideas on what to do??

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
reviews: 182
1. Re: How to Pack, vacation butting up against business travel

I pack both in the same bag. I'm just extra frugal about my needs.

Newmarket, Canada
reviews: 33
2. Re: How to Pack, vacation butting up against business travel

If it's just you continuing on to Japan, why not just send your vacation clothes back home with your husband at the end of the family vacation portion? That doesn't solve the problem about carrying your business clothes during vacation. Just try to pack as light as possible.

If it's really a big deal to you... are you flying to Japan from the same airport you arrive at for your vacation? Do they have luggage storage facilities there, either at the airport or perhaps your hotel? You could pack your business gear in one bag and the vacation gear in another. Store the business case at the first destination. Then send your vacation bag back home with your husband as you pick up your other bag for the rest of your trip.

Edited: 11:06 pm, February 19, 2013
Indiana
3. Re: How to Pack, vacation butting up against business travel

I like the idea of luggage storage, had not conidered that. I have also heard about people shipping their luggage to their destination. Does anyone have experience with this??

Newmarket, Canada
reviews: 33
4. Re: How to Pack, vacation butting up against business travel

I have shipped luggage to my destination on several occasions, but have only done that within North America. It could be expensive to ship it internationally, and you'd need a party (ie. your hotel) to receive it, and potentially hold if for you if it arrives early. But what if it arrives late after you've moved on to your next stop? I generally only do this when I have a lot of things to move (eg. product samples or equipment that is difficult to handle).

In your case, it sounds as if you're only really talking about an extra suitcase? If that's the case, I would just drag it along with me on the plane in my checked luggage, and pay the extra bag charge if necessary. It's likely cheaper than shippnig it, and then you don't need to worry about trying to retrieve it later.

San Jose
Destination Expert
for California
reviews: 75
5. Re: How to Pack, vacation butting up against business travel

My first choice would be to store the suitcase full of business clothes at the airport if that will work for you - like if you are flying in and out of Frankfurt, just store the suitcase there - then you don't have to lug it around on vacation.

If that won't work, since you are already used to sharing a suitcase with your husband on trips, let your husband handle that suitcase and you just handle the suitcase with your business clothes - extra to deal with, but it isn't as though you are going to now have 2 suitcases of your own.

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
reviews: 264
6. Re: How to Pack, vacation butting up against business travel

Is anyone else from your office going to Japan with you? They could carry an extra bag (if your relationship is close enough obviously) with your business attire. If not, then you might well end up with two suitcases, one for business one for fun when going to Germany, and one for your husband and one for you at the end of the holidays.

While the storage thing is a possibility, I don't use it as I don't like leaving behind my stuff since any plan change (emergency for instance) would leave me in trouble and getting back my stuff could well turn to be a nightmare...

Indiana
7. Re: How to Pack, vacation butting up against business travel

Thank you everyone for your help. I think I will just suck it up and take an extra bag.

8. Re: How to Pack, vacation butting up against business travel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, February 27, 2014
Get answers to your questions