We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accord "Loyalty" program ??

Dallas, Texas
Accord "Loyalty" program ??

Hi

Is it me or did you also have bad experience with the Accord Loyalty program Customer "Service"?

I've earned big number of points during the last 3 years...the 'Loyalty' concept, used NONE and now they have removed all points from my account because of no activity in the last 12 months! After multiple back and forth with customer service, I got NO CONSIDERATION at all, always same answer regarding commercial policy... why it is called "customer service"? I was always very polite wiht them but really had a bad experience with their customer service. Will for sure stop to go with Accord for my costly business trips!

Hope I'm the only one to face such a wall from Accord customer service!

Best regards

fabien

Newmarket, Canada
reviews: 36
1. Re: Accord "Loyalty" program ??

Firstly, I think you mean "Accor", not "Accord".

I can't comment on the customer service, because I haven't had many dealings with them. However, they were right to clear your points. The terms and conditions of their program say that you need to stay at least one night per year to keep your points current. Having annual activity is a common requirement in many loyalty programs.

I'm also not sure that Accor Hotels will care very much that you will stop using them for your "costly business trips". Clearly, you already stopped using them for a least a full year, otherwise, your points would not have been removed from your account.

Edited: 5:55 pm, February 06, 2013
Dallas, Texas
2. Re: Accord "Loyalty" program ??

Hi

funny that you have same tone than Accor Customer Service...I also received a 3rd 'no' by email at same time of your post...aren't you the same person i'm discussing with at Accor.com? Gosh customers have really nothing to say these days when something goes wrong!!

It confirms also my opinion..."costly" means something for me. If Accor does not appreciate my business, no problem I'll find someone else like Marriott or Hilton to take it with a smile.

Interesting ! thanks for your comments

Best regards

fabien

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
reviews: 307
3. Re: Accord "Loyalty" program ??

Accor is not only very clear with the one night per year condition, but they also send a number of reminders explaining the potential loss before the membership year ends. So the rules were clear. I am afraid, Fabien, it is your mistake...

More generally, I am quite happy with their program.

Dallas, Texas
4. Re: Accord "Loyalty" program ??

May be Accord is paying you or doing good business with you so I would understand you are on their side here.

However you have to understand the loyalty concept is 2 ways. All points can not abruptly disapear from your account when you do not use service for 12 months. Loyaly is gained with time and sustainable performance. removing point abruptly with no progressive loss, is the best way to never see a customer again. Accor might not be ready for this change now, but it will come one day.

The only mistake I made was not to realize Accor was such self oriented company not listening to customers. Will go somewhere else to organise my weekly seminars (costly) until I see a real interest for customers and loyalty.

Rds

Fabien

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
5. Re: Accord "Loyalty" program ??

These programs do not exist to please us, but rather as a marketing tool to generate our loyalty. So the companies are setting the rules and we have to accept them or go elsewhere. You did not respect the simple rule of at least one night per year spent in an Accor hotel. The consequence should not come as a surprise.

Newmarket, Canada
6. Re: Accord "Loyalty" program ??

Fabien,

We don't work for Accor hotels, and Accor is not paying us to post here. That's just plain ridiculous, and making such an accusation simply because somebody doesn't share your opinion is a pretty weak argument.

Points are cleared after a year of inactivity. That's clearly spelled out in the terms and conditions. And if you think it's going to be different with other hotel chains, then you might be in for a big surprise. Have a look at Hilton... it's the same thing. Have a look at the loyalty programs of the major airlines.

And what's with your comment about loyalty being gained with time and sustainable performance. How loyal were you to Accor hotels? You didn't book so much as a single room with them for a least an entire year! Clearly, you weren't being loyal, and loyalty in any relationship must work both ways.

Dallas, Texas
7. Re: Accord "Loyalty" program ??

Well it's clear that you can not be a customer and speak like this. Never give up and defend the castle despite my common sense explanation tells me also that you can not be a customer...unless you think it's normal to be screwed by a stupid rule. I will try again in case you can finally get it : look at all other mature loyalty programs (airlines, etc), you never lose ALL after only 1 year of innactivity, it's a PROGRESSIVE loss. I wish Accor can develop this common sense rule one day

The world needs rules, no questions. But also when you call Accor to explain you are disapointed about loosing all your point (and never used one in my case), you think "customer service" would means something, they will understand and do something to keep you as a satisfied customer. That was quite a choc to see how Accor treated me.

If I'm the only one here asking for comom sense in customer service, no big deal, I'm the bad guy! please don't do business with me I'm lost!

Rds

Fabien

Newmarket, Canada
8. Re: Accord "Loyalty" program ??

And there is where you're wrong again. It is not a progressive loss with all other loyalty programs. Many of them wipe out all of your miles/points after a year of inactivity. Look at Hilton. Look at Air Canada Aeroplan. Those are just two examples that I happen to deal with regularly, and there are many more. There may be some that don't clear all points, but my point is that Accor is far from unique. They are more the rule, not the exception. That's just the way it is.

As for your accusation of me not being a customer, well, I'm not a regular customer of Accor, but I am a regular customer of hotels. I've stayed only occasionally in an Accor hotel. Most of my business is actually with the Starwood and Fairmont chains, and occasionally Hilton. Starwood and Fairmont are the only hotel programs where I maintain any sort of higher tier status in their loyalty programs (gold with Starwood and platinum with Fairmont). I'm a customer of those hotels, and happen to like the programs, and so I give them my ongoing business. I make an effort to read the terms and conditions, and understand all of the rules. That's how loyalty programs are supposed to work... they provide benefits to regular customers.

So I just surfed over to the Accor Le Club website to see if the rule about losing your points is hidden in the fine print, in which case, it might be understandable that people wouldn't see it. But no. Right there in big bold print is the following... "Your points are valid for life on the simple condition that you stay in one of the 2500 participating Accor hotels for at least one night a year." That's a pretty clear warning. You need to stay a minimum of one night per year.

As for Accor customer service providing bad service, well, no business should do that. But I have a suspicion that your definition of bad service in this case, means that you just didn't get the answer you wanted, in much the same way you are having trouble accepting the answer you are getting here on the forum. However, if they were rude to you, well, that's another thing, and that's not acceptable. But, if your only complaint is that they took your points and wouldn't make an exception, well, sorry, but that's what the rules say. The customer service agents in any business need to follow the rules of the program.

Dallas, Texas
9. Re: Accord "Loyalty" program ??

I'm sorry but you can not be a standard customer of ACCOR, your view seems clearly biased by other interests. You said I'm accusing, well I'm not accusing (accusing what thing?)...but look at the time you spend defending ACCOR, any standard customer would not spend all that time to defend ACCOR like that.

I will explain again my point: yes I know the rules, yes the world need rules, but no, ACCOR did wrong when they removed ALL my points after 1 year of inactivity. I collected very big number of points during 3 years of hotel stays and used zero rewards. When you call a customer service, to speak with real people, you expect a kind of judgment, often based on comon sense. I though my case would make sense for any normal customer service. Apparently not at ACCOR!

Yes other hotel and even some airlines have this same abrupt policy, you will always find worst than you. But leaders in Customer Service have a 'smooth landing' when it comes to decreasing loyalty.

Again, shame that ACCOR do not have such smooth landing policy, may be one day...

The point is that any other customer service would have made another judgment of the situation. ACCOR said 3 times 'sorry that's the rules'.

No need of real people at customer service if they do not provide more jugment and cannot catch any non-standard situation. I'm clearly upset by ACCOR not understanding basics in customer service, will stop working with ACCOR for my seminars. Hotel was good but I can not give my money to this people. I found this attitude disrespectful for my business. This is ACCOR right to be like that, this is my right to look for a better judgment from my customer service.

I will ask other customer service like Hilton, Marriott etc, explain my experience with ACCOR and see what is their answer. Will keep you posted of their answers.

thank you,

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
10. Re: Accord "Loyalty" program ??

"yes I know the rules, yes the world need rules, but no, ACCOR did wrong when they removed ALL my points after 1 year of inactivity."

Since the clear rule is that one need to spend at least one night per year in an Accor property and you write you know the rule, you have no excuse in your mismanagement of your Accor points account that logically led to the loss of all your points (in strict accordance with the said rules). Sad you cannot understand this simple fact.