We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

prepaid sim card in Spain

Denver, Colorado
prepaid sim card in Spain

Hi all,

I am traveling to Spain in a few weeks and would like to use my mobile devices in order to use my email, skype follow the news etc.

I have been using the services of onlineabroad.com which is offering prepaid sim cards with support in several countries. Great support and helpful but they do not operate in Spain yet.

Does somebody has any experience with prepaid sim cards in Spain? I rather pay a little extra for support and convenience.

1. Re: prepaid sim card in Spain

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 5:35 pm, November 26, 2012
Denver, Colorado
2. Re: prepaid sim card in Spain

Thanks!

However they do not offer data services in Spain so it seems.

Another question though. http://www.onlineabroad.com offers local prepaid sim cards. In some cases this might be a little more expensive than postpaid, but at least you know upfront what your costs will be. How does it work when you buy a postpaid sim on http://www.rebelfone.com ? Do they charge your credit card after a few months or so for the traffic?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
reviews: 77
3. Re: prepaid sim card in Spain

Nicholass997 has three posts, all of which mention buying a sim card, two of them with links to the one provider.

One thing for sure is that the provider misleads on their page about the cost savings over their closest competitor... that or they are being very selective on who their closest competitor is. My backup provider charges 75 cents a minute, US... they are 0.65 Euro to call the US. I usually go Wi-Fi when I'm in Spain/Portugal.

Have a look at Telestial... www.telestial.com/view_product.php…

There will be other providers you can hook up with when you land.

Denver, Colorado
4. Re: prepaid sim card in Spain

Aha good point GeoMedic

Thanks for your advice on www.telestial.com. However, they also only offer minutes in Spain.

Anyway thanks

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
reviews: 182
5. Re: prepaid sim card in Spain

Well, I've reported all 3 of them. Anyone else care to join me?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
6. Re: prepaid sim card in Spain

Hmmm. I thought I saw a data plan there, sorry. I typically have my guys on the AT&T international plan. They've made it a lot better over the years. A few hundred MB for $30 or $60 a month... that's a bunch better than it was before. We don't even use our backup sim card (that came with an estonian direct number).

Brazil, Indiana
7. Re: prepaid sim card in Spain

Also thanks for this.

8. Re: prepaid sim card in Spain

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

9. Re: prepaid sim card in Spain

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
10. Re: prepaid sim card in Spain

Nicholass, You really should read the posting guidelines, You cannot tell people to not post. I've reported your post.

If a person joins a forum and *all* their posts are about a particular commercial service, even when the thread they post on is not asking about phone coverage, then yes it raises flags. Currently all 5 of your posts mention Rebelphone. One might think to have greater than 5 posts, being familiar with the posting rules, and how the community works before criticizing others on a forum.

OP's issue is that he hasn't found any options. Neither Rebelphone nor Telestial supply data in Spain, so it isn't about a "customized solution". It is about finding *something* that works. AT&T data works in Spain... fairly cheaply. Verizon does too, but you need a gsm capable phone IIRC. The days of the US based sim card providers appear to have ended. While I still carry one myself, I have not recommended it because it does not fulfill OP's requirement.

Get answers to your questions