We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel room art

England
Hotel room art

Hotel room wall pictures seem almost universally bland, with some exceptions. Talking with my wife I said I would prefer just not to have pictures on the wall of my hotel room - she felt pictures gave the room some character and avoided what she called a 'blank expanse of wall' and I called 'lack of clutter'.

I just wondered what other people think?

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
reviews: 182
1. Re: Hotel room art

When I'm on business, I could really care less about the "decor"; I care mainly about functionality.

Houston, Texas
reviews: 171
2. Re: Hotel room art

Since I don't live there, I don't care what they hang on their walls.

The only thing I don't want to see on a hotel wall are roaches.

Newmarket, Canada
reviews: 36
3. Re: Hotel room art

Like bk_t1, when I'm travelling on business, I really don't care that much about the pictures. I want the room to be tasteful and clean, but mainly I want it to be comfortable with a nice bed and functional work area. I don't spend a lot of time in the room on a business trip; it's mainly a place to crash at the end of what is normally a long and tiring day, sometimes made worse by jetlag. Give me a good quality mattress and bedding over nice pictures on the wall! Artwork is not going to get me to stay there. Just make sure the rooms are not ugly and decorated in 1980s decor.

Now, when I'm travelling on vacation, then I'm looking for more of a luxury stay, and I expect nicer decor. On vacation, I do expect a nicer room, and that includes the artwork. Artwork won't be a factor in my decision to stay there, but I do expect something nice.

But hotels don't have to be both.

I choose different hotels for my personal trips vs. business trips. On business, I have a budget and can't pay for luxury properties and upgraded rooms. On vacation, I spend a more; a lot more. On business, I like being located near the airport or in a business district near to my meetings and maybe a couple of good restaurants with predictable food that I'm used to at home--simple, convenient, comfortable and practical. On vacation, I'm generally seeking the opposite.

Edited: 9:29 pm, November 15, 2012
Brazil, Indiana
4. Re: Hotel room art

It is okay but, I think pictures should not be over.

5. Re: Hotel room art

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:18 am, December 16, 2013
Get answers to your questions