We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marriott Rewards Platinum upgrades

Las Vegas, New...
Marriott Rewards Platinum upgrades

I am sure many of you have stayed at different Marriott hotels, and I would imagine at least some of you are Platinum Elite members.

For those that are Platinum Elite members, does anyone want to share their success (or unsuccessful) experience in getting room upgrades at Marriott's full- service properties (Ritz Carlton, JW Marriott, Marriott, Renaissance, and Autograph Collection) within the US & Canada?

18 replies to this topic
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
reviews: 77
1. Re: Marriott Rewards Platinum upgrades

At Hyatt and Hilton, I'm upgraded 95% of the time. My experience with Marriott has been that they tend to forget about room upgrades, but always provide lounge access.

At one location, they told me on check-in that they were upgrading me to the biggest room in the hotel... when they told me the room number, I had to remind them that I was room literate and knew that the room they'd provided me was nowhere near the biggest room in the hotel (not that room size matters all that much, past a reasonable threshold, but it wasn't what they'd claimed).

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
reviews: 182
2. Re: Marriott Rewards Platinum upgrades

I'm a Lifetime Plat and routinely get upgraded at Marriotts; probably 80-90%. Way too many to list, but I was in Minneapolis 2 weekends ago and was upgraded to a bilevel suite at the Marriott City Center. Saying that, I tend to find a lot more information at the Marriott forum at flyertalk.com or milepoint.com - also there is a Marriott forum called Marriott Rewards Insider; and there is a thread where members share upgrade experiences. Not saying you can't get info here, but those are my "go to" places.

Las Vegas, New...
3. Re: Marriott Rewards Platinum upgrades

Hi bk_ti,

Since you are lifetime Plat, I am assuming you have been to many Marriott properties. Have you been to any of the hotels on my list below (ones I want to try out sometime soon)? If so, were you successful at an upgrade for the particular property I specified? Do you get a suite, or is it usually Concierge Level Rooms? Do they give it to you automatically, or do you have to ask (my experiences tells me that I have to ask)?

1. JW Marriott Los Angeles at LA Live

2. JW Marriott Orlando Grande Lakes

3. JW Marriott Atlanta Buckhead

4. JW Marriott Essex House New York

5. JW Marriott Chicago

6. JW Marriott Grand Rapids

7. JW Marriott Houston

8. JW Marriott Marquis Miami

9. Atlanta Marriott Marquis

(as you can see, I like to stay at JW Marriott properties)

Have you ever been upgraded to a suite or received complimentary club lounge access at a Ritz Carlton? (my experience is telling me "no"- but it may just have been rare occasions)

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
4. Re: Marriott Rewards Platinum upgrades

I haven't stayed at most of these...yes to 2, 3, 7, and 9; club level, but no suites, if I recall. Here's the problem, since achieving Lifetime Plat 3 years ago, I put almost all my stays at Hilton (I'm Diamond), so many of my stays are "out-of-date". There is tons of good information here:

www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards-427/

And here's that other post I've seen:

www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/thread/8480

Edited: 7:58 pm, October 27, 2012
Las Vegas, New...
5. Re: Marriott Rewards Platinum upgrades

Thanks, bkti for your info.

How was your previous stay at JW Marriott Orlando Grande Lakes (#2)? What was the good/ bad about this resort? Since it is a resort, I believe Plats do not get free breakfast. And I don't believe there are any club level/ concierge level room. So, what did you get as an upgrade? Did you get a Lakeview Room?

I have read on different blogs/ travel websites that the JW Marriott Atlanta Buckhead is just not as nice as other JW Marriotts and not quite up to the JW Marriott standards. Did you find that to be the case? I know that this is one of the earlier JW hotels.

Oh, by the way, how is the food in the Concierge Lounge at the JW in Buckhead? Good? Bad? Spicy? Not spicy?

Since you have been to both the JW in Buckhead and the Atlanta Marriott Marquis, which one would you select out of pure concern of how nice the hotel is & Elite benefits- but disregarding the difference in location?

Among the four hotels (#2, #3, #7, #9), which ones were your favorite?

Thanks for the insights. This info is really helping me make some decisions on where to stay.

Edited: 9:03 pm, October 27, 2012
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
6. Re: Marriott Rewards Platinum upgrades

I really wish I could give you the type of insights you seek, but back when I stayed at most of these, I do not recall the level of detail you are asking about. That's why I usually read flyertalk (for recent activity).

Las Vegas, New...
7. Re: Marriott Rewards Platinum upgrades

I understand. Did you think that these 4 hotels were good, or not so good?

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
reviews: 77
8. Re: Marriott Rewards Platinum upgrades

Look them up on TripAdvisor and see what a greater population says about them.

Good or not good depends on what you want. It is pretty subjective.

Las Vegas, New...
9. Re: Marriott Rewards Platinum upgrades

I did look at these reviews, and they seem great. But before I actually reserve a room at these 4 properties, I would like to see what people who have stayed there have to say (in addition to what is seen in the reviews). Typically, I am looking for:

- A luxury hotel (by luxury, I am referring to primarily JW Marriott standards of luxury- not Ritz Carlton or Four Seasons luxury)

- Attentive, polished service

- An equivalent to a 4* hotel (I do not need 5* hotels)

- No pets allowed (which is the case for all of these properties- I checked)

- Well- appointed rooms with excellent room amenities

- Spacious rooms and bathrooms (cramped bathrooms are one of my pet peeves)

- Added benefits/ privileges offered to Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite members (I am a Platinum member)

- Speedy elevators

- Great hotel features and amenities

- Superb concierge services

Location is NOT an important consideration for me, provided that the hotel is located in a decent, safe neighborhood with ample dining nearby.

Edited: 9:48 pm, October 28, 2012
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
10. Re: Marriott Rewards Platinum upgrades

How about this idea....look at the TripAdvisor reviews. Find one or two that seem to fit what you are looking for and give some detail and members who have more than one review. Then private message those reviewers with a few specific questions. OR look them up on flyertalk.

Reply to: Marriott Rewards Platinum upgrades
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions