We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Avoid Agoda... Playing credit card games

Manila, Philippines
reviews: 11
Avoid Agoda... Playing credit card games

Last week, I booked a quick trip to Hong Kong. I used to generally like Agoda, not necessarily for the rate, but because the web site was well-designed and it lists serviced apartments, along with some lesser-known boutique hotels outside the major chains... Note that I travel weekly and understand about taxes, fees, etc. and the normal complaints.

So, I chose a hotel, entered my CC info (You pay in advance with them)and get a confirmation. Everything is cool, supposedly. Later that day, I get an "urgent" notice from Agoda... The hotel is booked, and that they would "refund" my credit card within 7 business days.

That is my problem with them... They can take the charge immediately, but I need to wait a week on a refund that was not due to any action on my part? To this day, nearly a week later, the charge is still present on the credit card. Now it is a pissing match between my bank (Normal with Philippine banks... Fraud is YOUR problem) who states that the merchant must settle, and Agoda who are insisting that they never charged me (despite my online statement still showing the charge). The whole situation is ridiculous.

Basically, these guys are stealing my money for a week, 10 days, or how ever long it takes them to getting around to decide to refund the charge, if ever.

Agoda's response at first was "not our fault" which later became a more aggressive "we need to review your credit card statement since we do not believe that the charge was made".

I'm thinking of filing estafa charges against them in the Philippines, since they are effectively advertising a service for which they had no intention of providing (Since the hotel was fully booked).

Is this a minor issue? Perhaps. But as someone who travels to 50 countries per year, and has a number of different credit card accouts to pay for it all, things like credit limits, etc. start to mean something.

As someone who stays in well over 50 hotels per year, I outright refuse to use them, or their sister companies Booking.com or Priceline in the future.

Holland
reviews: 8
11. Re: Avoid Agoda... Playing credit card games

I really must defend Booking.com I have been using them for several years without any problems, also called their office several times and they were easy to reach and helpful.

Booking.com is based in the Netherlands, so is bound by EU consumer protection - which is one of the best.

coffs harbour
12. Re: Avoid Agoda... Playing credit card games

i have been using agoda for about 4 years travelling in asia europe and elsewhere locally in australia without any hassles and they have been quickly helpful where there was a mistake I have made ,and when Australian gov travel warning caused us to cancel a non refundable hotel at the last minute the money was back in my account within 48hours.i also find their rating system pretty accurate and prices very competitive. averilnan 4th april 2013

13. Re: Avoid Agoda... Playing credit card games

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, April 06, 2014
Get answers to your questions