We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Using your IPad in US

Perth
reviews: 7
Using your IPad in US

Hi, Travelling to the US in Feb to LA, Vegas, Washington DC and New York. Would like to take my IPad to use for email etc. Would to purchase a prepaid sim but not sure what type or how or where to purchase. If any aussies have out there have done this would really appreciate knowing how you got on. All other information greatly appreciated. Thanks

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
reviews: 77
1. Re: Using your IPad in US

The people in travel gadgets and gear might have a quicker answer for you.

Aoyama Dori and San...
Destination Expert
for Kawasaki, Yokohama, Tokyo
reviews: 25
2. Re: Using your IPad in US

The US is not a SIM-savvy or SIM-friendly country in this respect. We are a decade behind the rest of the world when it comes to cellular service. Truthfully, I have never seen cheap SIMs anywhere in the US the way I see them in Europe, Korea and the rest of Asia. Good luck.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
reviews: 182
3. Re: Using your IPad in US

If you're only checking email and don't need a continuous signal, then just find a hotel that offers wifi for free or for fee. I bring a personal iPod when I travel, but do not need to be continuously logged in.

Houston, Texas
reviews: 171
4. Re: Using your IPad in US

Yes - The US is full of Free WiFi spots. Most Hotels, Coffee Shops, even McDonalds. I suggest you take advantage of the free WiFi and save your SIM money.

Sydney/Melbourne
reviews: 41
5. Re: Using your IPad in US

Our experience was that pre paid SIMs were hard to come by with only about 2 or 3 service providers, hence very little competition. Result was they were pretty pricey. However, as previous posters have suggested, free wi-fi is everywhere. Some cities even have free wi-fi through the whole down town area provided by the city - pretty cool!

Even the cheapest motels provide free wi-fi so you will be well connected.

We did notice that in some coffee shops, you need a password to access their wi-fi, which they will provide with the purchase of a cup of coffee.

6. Re: Using your IPad in US

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:25 am, April 15, 2013
Get answers to your questions