We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Booking Companies

Singapore River...
Hotel Booking Companies

I booked Agoda for a hotel in Austria, I paid extra for the ability to cancell, unfortunately I got a Virus on my way to Vienna and had to divert to my sisters in London to recuperate, I cancelled booking intending to rebook, however Agoda informed me it would take 10 days for refund

After a month and many unansweres e mails and with My credit card, Mastercards assistance I finally got refynd, never again will I book with Agoda their responce to my e mails was pathetic. Iys great they kept my cash for a month gathering interest, nice earner for them.

British Airways refunded within 3 days, so why the wait, is this normal?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
reviews: 58
21. Re: Hotel Booking Companies

Perhaps you can give us the name of the hotel, so we can look up their cancellation policy on Booking.com.

You filling out a cancellation form 2 days out, might mean absolutely nothing if that particular hotel has a 7 day cancellation policy, or the rate you purchased was non cancellable. Had this been the case, the cancellation was not valid, and you would have been charged by the hotel as a No Show.

New Brunswick
Destination Expert
for Travel Gadgets and Gear, New Brunswick
reviews: 253
22. Re: Hotel Booking Companies

You should have received a confirmation of your cancellation and printed it out. If you do not receive a cancellation notice then you should contact them straight away. Either way you should always check that a cancellation has been accepted.

Canada
reviews: 28
23. Re: Hotel Booking Companies

Definitely agree with the above.

One needs to be pro-active....to avoid any"glitches"

Anything cancelled online ....car rental, Hotel etc will generate a cancellation email. I will always note it, print it off and save to my files.

Ensuring the cancellation went through is the customer's responsibility....thereby preventing the charge...and in the poster's case an inordinate amount of frustration.

These days email communications provide "written " proof of a variety of communications , transactions etc...which are admissible in litigation. The savvy Traveller today is aware of this and is diligent in all communications.

Edited: 12:37 pm, May 19, 2013
london
24. Re: Hotel Booking Companies

Always read the fine print before booking your room...& make sure on the cancellation policy.

London, United...
25. Re: Hotel Booking Companies

A number of the booking services got raked over the coals a year or additional ago regarding competing head-to-head with their affiliates.

Edited: 11:32 am, June 04, 2013
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
26. Re: Hotel Booking Companies

If you are referring to the allegations put forth by the Office of Fair Trade in the UK against Expedia, Booking.com and IHG, don't believe it.

They were poor attempts at Price Fixing allegations, which were basically dismissed. The only reason it received any airtime, is thanks to a bunch of misunderstandings, complaints by weak competitors and over hyped media.

Basically a non event.

Thanh Hoa, Vietnam
reviews: 13
27. Re: Hotel Booking Companies

Yes, booking direct with the hotel is the best way. You can negotiate for a best rate and go on!

Johannesburg, South...
reviews: 46
28. Re: Hotel Booking Companies

Agree, booking directly with hotel is the only way to go.

I travel on business frequently (more than frequently if there is such a thing), and on more occasions than I can remember, have I stood next to a fellow Guest at check in trying to sort out a mess with Booking.com.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
29. Re: Hotel Booking Companies

>>>and on more occasions than I can remember, have I stood next to a fellow Guest at check in trying to sort out a mess with Booking.com.<<<

And in my experience, on more occasions than I care to remember, the mess is caused by the guest or the hotel, not the agent.

Edited: 1:14 pm, August 12, 2013
30. Re: Hotel Booking Companies

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, August 14, 2014
Get answers to your questions