We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Serviced Apartment vs Hotel

devon
reviews: 3
Serviced Apartment vs Hotel

I have been travelling throughout the UK on business over the past 12 months and I have used serviced apartments on a few occassions due to the length of my stay.

Can I ask what you prefer and who you prefer to use?

Thanks

20 replies to this topic
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
reviews: 182
1. Re: Serviced Apartment vs Hotel

I prefer hotels which aligns better with company policy, which is probably most important. To my knowledge, the only exception is relocation.

Clearwater...
2. Re: Serviced Apartment vs Hotel

If your stay is 30 days or more, you will get more "bang for your buck" out of a serviced apartment/corporate apartment. Typically less cost than a hotel, and more space, privacy, etc.

Check out Furnished Housing Ambassador, a serviced apartment locator:

www.furnishedhousingambassador.com

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
reviews: 501
3. Re: Serviced Apartment vs Hotel

I love serviced apartments - they are very big in Australia & have all the services & amenities of a hotel. I adore having space & if I can get an apartment with all the amenities & services of a hotel I will book them any day.

Australia has numerous first class apartments & every year there is a new kid on the block.. I could easily rattle off 10 apartment companies in Sydney which are absolutely fab.

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 101
4. Re: Serviced Apartment vs Hotel

I agree. If you are making an extended stay, the serviced apartments are great value. But I realized recently, that even when I stay for a night, I've been enjoying serviced apartments. They are more spacious and have the same amenities as hotels. In Canada some are very reasonably priced and they are just as nice as hotels but much bigger.

Sydney/Melbourne
reviews: 41
5. Re: Serviced Apartment vs Hotel

Our preference when traveling is a serviced apartment - mainly because neither of us can manage to do anything without a decent breakfast and a serious cup of coffee in the morning. A serviced apartment allows you to have what you want when you want it.

As EM says, in Australia they tend to be equal to hotels in services and standards, but much more space. No matter how big the hotel room is, unless you have a suite you are sitting and working in your bedroom - not something we enjoy.

Newmarket, Canada
reviews: 33
6. Re: Serviced Apartment vs Hotel

I will agree that serviced apartments are a nice way to go. However, I find such places are more often located outside of downtown areas or in more suburban areas. When I'm travelling on business, I'm normally heading to a downtown area for my meetings that's mostly serviced by hotels, and I'll generally choose a convenient location for my meetings over a serviced apartment out of town. I've had many good stays in serviced apartments on vacation, but I can't ever recall staying in one on a business trip.

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 101
7. Re: Serviced Apartment vs Hotel

I agree that there are few in the Downtown cores, but I have had good success in Ottawa and Regina. For me, when I travel on business I have to rent a car as well, so I don't mind driving the extra 15 mins to get to a comfortable "home".

New Brunswick
Destination Expert
for Travel Gadgets and Gear, New Brunswick
reviews: 194
8. Re: Serviced Apartment vs Hotel

We often travel for 10/12 weeks so an apartment offers the opportunity to do some laundry and eat what we choose (rather than what is on the menu) so we use both apartments and hotels.

Atlanta, Georgia
reviews: 32
9. Re: Serviced Apartment vs Hotel

Hotel for London- any problem, and there usually is, call downstairs.

Edited: 10:47 pm, May 06, 2012
Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
reviews: 263
10. Re: Serviced Apartment vs Hotel

Three elements should in my view be taken into consideration:

In some cities, finding a good serviced apartment is OK, in others, no. In addition, will it be close to business is another issue.

- Length

Is it making sense for one night, price-wise? Not sure...

- Easiness

This is where the hotel chains bring value when going to a new place. It is easy to book a room and the risk is somewhat limited. And the choice of location is greater so I can really go close to the business. This is why, when working (stays seldom last more than a week for me), I usually prefer hotels.

Reply to: Serviced Apartment vs Hotel
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions