We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Luggage that lasts?

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 27
Luggage that lasts?

Looking for 4 wheeled, lightweight (polycarbonate) check in luggage that will survive being thrown around as airport luggage handlers do. Comparing Rimowa, Samsonite and Eminent. All suggestions / advice greatly appreciated.

47 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney
reviews: 30
21. Re: Luggage that lasts?

Goodness, this has been going for quite sometime but I guess it's a question raised quite often.

GeoMedic has got it spot on about the debate between two versus four wheels. A fairly strong indicator of this is that you never see airline crew with four wheel luggage - which does indicate something considering how often they fly.

Up until a few years back, the old clip lock Samsonite was the preferred suitcase by most airlines, infact they had a monopoly for the supply to the airlines. There are various other companies offering great products but the price range is quite vast.

Buffalo, New York
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
reviews: 23
22. Re: Luggage that lasts?

For years I have used Tumi luggage, While other companies have made lighter cases, I have never had luggage last like a Tumi suitcase. My briefcase is over 20 years old and still works great.

23. Re: Luggage that lasts?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 2:35 am, May 06, 2013

london
24. Re: Luggage that lasts?

A 30 lb. computer bag? Exactly what kind of computer do you travel with?

Kota Kinabalu...
reviews: 17
25. Re: Luggage that lasts?

American Tourister

I'm on my second now after 1st one wore out the spinner wheels

Even Alitalia didn't manage to break it.!

The large (75cm) size only weighs in at 4 kg and American Tourister are part of samsonite group

I paid UK84 in Abu Dhabi wheras 139 in UK

Mumbai (Bombay...
26. Re: Luggage that lasts?

I think you should get noticed it to the airlines immediately in such case of an event. As per my opinion, we have a facility at airlines to register complaint nothing but PIR (Property Irregularity Report ). But it's an common issue, it happens, what I suggest is Samsonite is the best brand, in such times, I haven't used other two brands that you mentioned. But till the date Samsonite is really comfortable to me all over the time, and the brand what I suggest to my friends too.

http://store.samsoniteindia.com/

Cardiff by the Sea...
reviews: 2
27. Re: Luggage that lasts?

Ricardo Beverly Hills is very difficult to work with when it comes to obtaining replacement parts not under warranty. All I wanted from them was either to purchase from them or for them to tell me where to purchase a replacement telescoping handle that was damaged by an airline [actually two different carriers each of which asked me to prove they damaged it and not the other airline] The handle is attached with 7 Phillips screws which any moron could remove and replace in the dark.

Ricardo referred me to a luggage repair shop which quoted almost as much as it cost new at Costco. I'm still attempting to pry the info out of them.

28. Re: Luggage that lasts?

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 9:05 am, September 18, 2013

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
reviews: 182
29. Re: Luggage that lasts?

I'm reporting the last post. Seems suspicious based on poster's screen name.

30. Re: Luggage that lasts?

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:25 am, February 18, 2014

Reply to: Luggage that lasts?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted