We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice for the new traveler???

Eugene, Oregon
Advice for the new traveler???

So my husband just got a new job and will be traveling a lot outside the US and I might even get to tag-a-long a bit ;) Any advice on what we will be needing, luggage, apps that are useful, what is the best way to take a nice camera/laptop etc......I am looking for anything that you swear by and wouldn't leave home without! Oh and we haven't ever been out of the country so anything helps!.....Thanks SOOO much!!

monza
reviews: 84
21. Re: Advice for the new traveler???

lol - each person has their own needs I suppose - millions of people worldwide go weeks at a time without food - being hungry is not a crisis and skipping a meal or two never killed anyone. I don't eat carbs and have skipped many meals in my travels - either because of timing or because I try hard not to eat crap - I am still alive :-)

I accept that not everyone is like me - so I suppose the advice should be - if you are incapable of skipping a meal carry food.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
reviews: 77
22. Re: Advice for the new traveler???

"being hungry is not a crisis and skipping a meal or two never killed anyone."

Unless you are diabetic.

As was pointed out... it isn't meal time that is the issue. It is the better sleep you get when very jet-lagged. Hungry sleep isn't good sleep. As this is a business travel forum, the advice from experience is that you will have a better, more productive trip if you are well rested. Sometimes that means eating a little.

Houston, Texas
reviews: 169
23. Re: Advice for the new traveler???

Agreed Geo;

I don't sleep well on my first night at any Hotel. Probably just wound up from traveling. That one little cup of soup settles the stomach grumbles. Secondly, plain water doesn't quench my thirst well. I carry a zip lock baggie with Crystal Light. It makes a bottle of water enjoyable.

And because I'm all over the globe, I carry my North American *and* European GPS. Got home from Europe on Saturday night, and off to Halifax, NS Sunday morning. I'm major jet lagged right now, but i'm comfortable, and I got here with no problems.

True, it's not for everyone, but for me, the little things releive the stress, and I can function well.

Dubai, United Arab...
reviews: 70
24. Re: Advice for the new traveler???

i have gone thru the everyone's advice, but no one has ask to carry

universal adopter for the carrying electronic equipments like IPAD Ipod etc. etc.... as every continent uses different type of sockets in the hotels

so a universal adopter is a must in todays travel luggage.....

New Brunswick
Destination Expert
for Travel Gadgets and Gear, New Brunswick
reviews: 220
25. Re: Advice for the new traveler???

I travel for up to 3 months at a time with only a carry-on sized case and laaptop sized bag. I take 100ml bottles of shampoo/conditioner/lotion plus make-up (I am a woman) and I buy more wherever I am. I take a corkscrew/bottle opener without a blade and nail clippers. I take nail polish and make-up remover pads and toothpaste.

I also take my Kindle (essential), a cell phone, a camera and a journal.. Of course I also take passport (and a copy of it),travel itinery etc.. I take easy wash/wear clothes which coordinate and sandals/shoes.

I also suggest you visit the Gadgets and Gear Forum where there are many helpful topics.

Enjoy your 'accompanying person' travelling - I do! :))

New Brunswick
Destination Expert
26. Re: Advice for the new traveler???

Ooops!! Of course I also take a universal adaptor (got to charge the appliances!!!)and sometimes a hairdrier (depends where I am going).

Gdansk, Poland
reviews: 3
27. Re: Advice for the new traveler???

Hi,

You have got a lot's of advise.

I take also with me additional memory card/cards for my camera.

Kind regards

Malgorzata

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 40
28. Re: Advice for the new traveler???

I've just spotted this topic and read all the advice offered to a new overseas traveller. Surely, the most important thing you absolutely *must* have is a valid passport. Never leave home to travel without it.

Anything else is subjective!!!!

SWT

New Brunswick
Destination Expert
29. Re: Advice for the new traveler???

SWT - I think several posters mentioned that they assumed passport/traveldocuments/medications were auttomatic inclusions. naturally the rest is subjective but the OP did ask!

30. Re: Advice for the new traveler???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, February 26, 2013
Get answers to your questions