We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice for the new traveler???

Eugene, Oregon
Advice for the new traveler???

So my husband just got a new job and will be traveling a lot outside the US and I might even get to tag-a-long a bit ;) Any advice on what we will be needing, luggage, apps that are useful, what is the best way to take a nice camera/laptop etc......I am looking for anything that you swear by and wouldn't leave home without! Oh and we haven't ever been out of the country so anything helps!.....Thanks SOOO much!!

Brussels
reviews: 12
1. Re: Advice for the new traveler???

I never leave without my i pod and i pad. Music always gets me into the atmosphere I need, whatever the surroundings, and my I pad provides me with all the useful and less useful tools whever I need them.

Whenever I can, I also try to have my own pillow with me... A non affordable luxury in business tavel '-)

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
reviews: 181
2. Re: Advice for the new traveler???

Comfortable shoes.

Sydney/Melbourne
reviews: 47
3. Re: Advice for the new traveler???

Ear plugs

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
reviews: 81
4. Re: Advice for the new traveler???

Eyemask... a good one that doesn't touch your eyes.

Tom Bihn Checkpoint Flyer bag

Bose headphones

Never pack any of these things in checked bags.

Argentina
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
reviews: 62
5. Re: Advice for the new traveler???

An electric plug adaptor.

London, United...
reviews: 19
6. Re: Advice for the new traveler???

The three most practical things, I have always found useful for travelling, are first a decent torch, led doesn’t kill the batteries as fast.

Second, a Leatherman ‘type’ multi tool, the amount of places I have been where a niggling screw or nail bothers in your hotel room. My favourite is tightening shower heads, but a good tool helps you in many situations. Just to note, you cannot carry this in your hand luggage.

Third; a decent first aid kit and a travel sewing kit, (small not large kits) which will probably be loaned out more than you will actually use it yourself.

7. Re: Advice for the new traveler???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:23 pm, December 20, 2011
Houston, Texas
reviews: 169
8. Re: Advice for the new traveler???

My list of "needful" things I carry, above the usual toiletries, and clothes.

1. North American GPS.

2. European GPS.

3. Electrical Plug adapter set.

4. Extension Coard.

5. Chargers capable of operating on 220 volts.

6. Ramen Noodles & imersable water heater for late arrivals when food sources are closed. It holds you over till breakfast. Also instant Coffee, Creamer, and Sugar packets. Drink mix packets for bottled water if you prefer.

7. TV Shows & Movies on my lap top hard drive. Most countries won't have many English TV Channels.

8. A pocket flashlight is sometines handy.

9. I have a scan of my Passport and DL in my Android for emergencies.

10. Small Travel First Aid Kit.

Apps for Android or iPhone that are handy.

1. Flight Tracker will hold all your flight information with updates.

2. Lodging - Shows Hotels in your area.

3 DAT Trucker Services App (Free) For USA - Shows Truck Stops, Rest Stops, and Wal Mart Locations.

4. Currency Converter App.

5. Trip Advisor App.

I also carry my money in a clip seperate from my wallet. If one is lost or stolen, you'll have the other for back-up.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
reviews: 81
9. Re: Advice for the new traveler???

You've actually been able to get the TA app to work in the time it takes to run through your battery? Wow. I tried places near me earlier this month in Perth and it gave me restaurants in London... eventually... 3MB later.

Houston, Texas
reviews: 169
10. Re: Advice for the new traveler???

TA App works great in the US, but it's hit & miss for me overseas too. Dosen't hurt to have it. The OP said "a lot outside the US" but I'm assuming there will be some domestic travel too.

Get answers to your questions