We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Currency for Israel

Windsor, Ontario...
Currency for Israel

I am traveling to Jerusalem on business in 3 weeks and would like to know how much currency I should take with me and if it should be Israeli currency. The Israeli government web site said that Euros or American dollars are accepted, but is that every where?

uk
reviews: 71
1. Re: Currency for Israel

When ever I'm in Israel on business I always take Israeli Sheikels - just makes life a lot easier I find as you know they will always be accepted.

The first time I went to Israel I was surprised by how much a 'cash' society it is and while most hotels and bars take cards, paying with cash is very common. Taxi's only take cash unless you have arranged in advance through a car service - but expect to pay almost double for this service.

In terms of how much to take, Taxi''s tend to be my biggest outgoing in terms of cash so if you're going to be using a lot of taxi's I would prepare accordingly.

I've never had an issue obtaining Sheikels in the UK, ATMs are plentyful and most hotels will provide you with a cash advance if you run short.

Windsor, Ontario...
2. Re: Currency for Israel

Thanks so much for your advice!

San Jose, California
3. Re: Currency for Israel

Clown Doctor,

I can also attest to Geordie Engine, Isreali Sheikels is going to be the form of currency to use in Jerusalem. Some advice that I could give you is to exchange money in your home country and bring cash, ive used Currency Exchange International (http://www.sanjosecurrencyexchange.com/) for all my currency exchange needs. You can always take out too much and sell back the currency you dont use at cost, no transaction fee when you exchange back. Its easier and saves you alot more money in the long run if you have to use your credit/debit card all the time abroad.

London, United...
reviews: 5
4. Re: Currency for Israel

If you search the Israel forum on this topic, you will see that the advice of the overwhelming preponderance of posters is to bring a credit/debit card and obtain local currency (NIS) from the cash machines once you arrive, having made appropriate arrangements.

San Jose, California
5. Re: Currency for Israel

If anything it doesnt hurt to have some hard currency in your pocket, in the case youa arrive at an odd time of the day or an ATM is not available at the moment to retrieve funds.

Edited: 10:05 am, October 05, 2011
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
reviews: 77
6. Re: Currency for Israel

Foreign exchange desks at the airports can provide small amounts as needed during the 0.5% of the time the ATM is down. Traveling with piles of cash just isn't done anymore.

The costs of having and maintaining a physical currency float is high. There is no need to do that anymore.

Windsor, Ontario...
7. Re: Currency for Israel

Thanks so much to everyone for your advice.

Boston
reviews: 31
8. Re: Currency for Israel

My bank (Middlesex Savings in Ma) allows you to use your visa debit card to withdraw cash at foreign ATMs and the do not charge any fees. This is a good way to secure cash when traveling. On the other hand Bank of America will get you Israeli shekels (in advance of your trip) but they tack on a fee of about 8%. I always take a small amount of cash with me and use my ATM card when I need more cash.

Boston
reviews: 31
9. Re: Currency for Israel

My bank (Middlesex Savings in Ma) allows you to use your visa debit card to withdraw cash at foreign ATMs and the do not charge any fees. This is a good way to secure cash when traveling. On the other hand Bank of America will get you Israeli shekels (in advance of your trip) but they tack on a fee of about 8%. I always take a small amount of cash with me and use my ATM card when I need more cash.

10. Re: Currency for Israel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:31 pm, March 18, 2013