We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

urgent questions about early/late check in, please help!

Galveston Island...
reviews: 3
urgent questions about early/late check in, please help!

Hi everyone,

hope you can help me out here. I am going to Penang on vacation and trying to make a hotel reservation. I will arrive late in Penang at 2330.

If I check in at 0030 on monday and check out before noon on Friday, how many nights should I book? I only stay four nights you know... but some hotels said i should book five nights, and i find it weird..

Does that mean I have to pay for an extra night just because I arrive late at the airport, when I only stay a total of four nights. It's not fair!!

Thanks much in advance! I also posted this message in the bargain travel forum, hope you don't mind...

Atlanta, Georgia
reviews: 32
1. Re: urgent questions about early/late check in, please help!

you will have to pay for five nights with the schedule you outlined.

Canada
reviews: 23
2. Re: urgent questions about early/late check in, please help!

You will be occupying the Hotel room for 5 nights.....Unless they have a" Get one night free program" featured....they will expect payment for the 5 nights.

In order to pay for only 4 nights...you would have to occupy yourself until 3 or 4 p.m. on the Monday prior to check-in.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
reviews: 77
3. Re: urgent questions about early/late check in, please help!

Look at it this way... Check-out is at about noon in most hotels. If you want to occupy the room before that time you are into the time of the previous day. Checking in at 0030 is *way* too early for any early checking, even for a high level Elite.

Alternatively, you can look at it from the hotel side... they have to refuse to sell the room to somebody else so that you can occupy it only 9 hours after official check-in time starts.

Edited: 10:46 am, September 25, 2011
uk
reviews: 73
4. Re: urgent questions about early/late check in, please help!

Not sure why you find having to book 5 nights as weird?

As already mentioned, a hotel 'night' is usually means a room from 3pm day 1 to 12noon day 2.

Therefore if you expect to check in at 00.30 that is classed as the previous night and I can not imagine a single hotel that would class this as an early check in on Monday.

You say it is not fair but I really don't agree - how many 'nights' will you be sleeping in that hotel room? I think you will find it is 5, so the hotel will righly expect you to pay for 5 nights.

I recently arrived in Brazil at 4.30am and despite having the highest tier status with the hotel I was staying at, still booked the room for the previous night to be sure I could check in at 6am when I arrived.

Galveston Island...
5. Re: urgent questions about early/late check in, please help!

sorry guys, i should say 0030 on tuesday.

my flight arrives at penang at 2330 on monday, so it takes an hour for me to get to the hotel

so you see i only spend four nights.

i guess i can only pay for four nights if i just show up at the hotel without prior booking

what do you think??

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
reviews: 77
6. Re: urgent questions about early/late check in, please help!

Does the hotel have a minimum 5 night booking? That seems rather onerous and is a red flag for the hotel for me.

Monday night,

Tuesday night,

Wednesday night,

Thursday night...

seems like 4 nights to me. Maybe somebody was thinking like we were... early morning Monday arrival.

Galveston Island...
7. Re: urgent questions about early/late check in, please help!

i was totally mixed up about arrival time.. :(

i have emailed the hotel again for clarification..

hope they would change their mind.

8. Re: urgent questions about early/late check in, please help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, October 24, 2012
Get answers to your questions