We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

mobile phone use

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 40
mobile phone use

travelling in london france and italy with family and really only need phone to talk to each other and make reservations ect within the same city, global roaming too dear , internet will do to call home , but connection to each other is necessary, can somebody advise please.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
reviews: 76
1. Re: mobile phone use

I would just stick with text messages if you need to communicate with each other. You can arrange for meeting points easily.

For reservations, ask the hotel to do it for you.

Manchester, United...
2. Re: mobile phone use

Yes you are right Sammyfloyd, just use test messages while and ask informations about reservations in hotels

uk
reviews: 73
3. Re: mobile phone use

Because you're travelling to three different countries you would need three different SIM cards, otherwise you would be international roaming from UK to France or Italy etc. These could add up quickly if you're buying for multiple phones.

Speak to your home provider, they may be able to offer an international package which, for a small fee will make international calls a lot cheaper.

Or you could pretend it's the early 90's and just stick to pre-made arrangements.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
reviews: 77
4. Re: mobile phone use

If you bring along some unlocked phones you can visit CarPhone Warehouse in London. They have always looked after me and my guys well. I pick up cheap sim cards with very cheap rates to North America and reasonably cheap phone to phone calls in Europe (a lot cheaper than what Australian phone charges would be there.

London, United...
reviews: 19
5. Re: mobile phone use

Sorry just coming to this party a bit late, if you are with Telstra and most Australian networks do offer a service for coverage within Europe.

However, be warned it can work out very pricey. What most of my Aussy colleagues do is simply, as you wish to speak to one another within the same city is stick with the text service, (works fine in Western Europe) and text over the number of the nearest fixed line or mobile for voice calls. Texts can also add up, but once you have sent the numbers switch them off.

Or once in the UK, France & Italy if you are here for sufficient time I would suggest you opt for pay-as-you go sim cards which easy to purchase for voice service. You will require an unlocked phone, but forget about internet service – its expensive here just stick with text.

6. Re: mobile phone use

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 pm, October 22, 2012
Get answers to your questions