We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best car rental loyalty programme

Port of Spain...
Best car rental loyalty programme

Can anyone suggest their top choices for rental car loyalty programmes - especially for business travel. I usually select a rental based on a combination of price and type of car - with some other factors at times. But i am getting tired of always waiting at counters. Any good experiences with rental car loyalty programmes that anyone can share to guide me which one to stick with? Thanks much.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
reviews: 181
1. Re: Best car rental loyalty programme

The 2 programs I use the most are Avis (Preferred) and Hertz (#1 Gold) - both have special lines or allow you to skip the line to go to your car directly. These are the company preferred vendors, so we are forced to use them.

uk
reviews: 73
2. Re: Best car rental loyalty programme

My company has a policy to only rent with Hertz and I find their #1 Gold programme to be good.

Priority service, just show your ID and they give you the key, cars are usually parked directly at the terminal which can mean avoiding a bus trip.

I think you need three rentals per year to achieve this status.

Newmarket, Canada
reviews: 35
3. Re: Best car rental loyalty programme

I also like the Hertz #1 Gold. You might want to check out what the qualifying criteria are where you live, because I think they differ from country to country. Geordie is correct that it takes 3 rentals to earn it, but that is in the UK. In Canada/USA, it doesn't take any, but rather you can join for $60 per year, or some premium credit cards also give you this membership as a benefit. I don't know what the rules are in Spain.

4. Re: Best car rental loyalty programme

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 5:06 am, January 02, 2013
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
reviews: 81
5. Re: Best car rental loyalty programme

Good response from a bunch of people here.

I have affinity for Avis. They have affinity for me. Thanks to one of the credit cards I carry, I am in the Avis President's Circle (a chunk above the Preferred level). It is well beyond anything else that I've come across. Best cars, even in times of zero availability. Same prices that everybody else gets.

Edited: 5:24 pm, September 14, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
6. Re: Best car rental loyalty programme

Hey! Would you please tell me how can I get the best deal on a rental car?

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
reviews: 181
7. Re: Best car rental loyalty programme

Last poster: I'm confused at your questions. I do not equate business travel (this forum) with finding deals or figuring out if one way air and renting a car is the best way. My business policy diverts me to our preferred vendors or company policy regarding travel. If you are looking for Bargain Travel, there is a different forum on TripAdvisor for that. For the record, I book directly with the car companies, even for personal travel, and occasionally use coupon codes that I find at www.autoslash.com under coupons.

8. Re: Best car rental loyalty programme

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11:05 am, September 16, 2011
Port of Spain...
9. Re: Best car rental loyalty programme

Thanks all for the useful advice. I will try a few of the different programs based on your feedback and see which works best in my circumstances.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
reviews: 20
10. Re: Best car rental loyalty programme

To the OP in Victoria I do my best to figure out personal/vacation dates in advance and, if in the US, book one or more reservations to hopefully book the right dates. Doing this for domestic, personal travel has meant that we pay about $20/day base rate for the car rental. I mean booking at least 6 months prior. Since there is no cancellation penalty this works well.

For business travel I can't do that but my company has a corporate rate with Thrifty that carries a maximum rate and the ability to go straight to the car and by-pass any lines.

I can't believe the high price of car rentals. A few days car rental next month costs more than the flight.

Edited: 3:11 pm, October 29, 2011
Get answers to your questions