We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

lufthansa business class service

Level Contributor
156 posts
28 reviews
lufthansa business class service

We make yearly trips to Cairo and for the past three years taken the non-stop from JFK. But Delta has suspended this flight and this time we are using Continental FF in business/first class; our return flight of Cairo/Frankfurt/Dallas will be on Lufthansa. It appears that Lufthansa has 3 class flights and we will only qualify for business level. Since we loved the business class experience on the Delta flight, I am making mental notes and am wonder what to expect from Lufthansa regarding meals (remember economy class foods from 1999 and am not a fan of German foods of dark bread and cheese) and whether they will offer American movies, TV, etc. Using a bucket of miles to fly up front and hate to waste them on a less than enjoyable trip.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
13,263 posts
192 reviews
1. Re: lufthansa business class service

You may want to ask this question in the Air Travel forum. Another place to check is www.flyertalk.com . LH serves a variety of food in C class, not just German food.

Edited: 6:26 pm, September 09, 2011
Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
6 posts
65 reviews
2. Re: lufthansa business class service

Just flew Lufthansa business class this week. Not a great experience. First- movie selection is dismal. I mean really poor- worst I have ever seen. Food is pretty bad too. Bread was not served during my meal until I asked (twice) for it. It was a traditional brown bread and was too hard to chew. Seats were barely wider than economy. Did not recline into a true lie flat and my feet were hanging off onto the floor as I tried to sleep. There are many many better experiences for your money. Don't waste it on this one.

Level Contributor
156 posts
28 reviews
3. Re: lufthansa business class service

Sorry to hear of your experience, but it is exactly what I am looking for. Unfortunately, with Continental OnePass miles, Lufthansa is the only airline that makes a decent connection. BMI flies Cairo/London but the layovers are horrendous--13-15 hours. But after what you said, I will search further for possible connections. Took Lufthansa in 1999 and I well remember the inedible brown bread!!

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
7,317 posts
84 reviews
4. Re: lufthansa business class service

I consider LH business class to be not worth the price. Narrow angled seats are not as comfortable as other options. Check out Qatar out of IAH.

Level Contributor
156 posts
28 reviews
5. Re: lufthansa business class service

Thanks but we are using OnePass FF miles and have limited choices. May look at flights on BA even with long layovers in London. I am getting a lot of feedback voicing the opinion that Lufthansa business class stinks! Kinda depressing!!

uk
Level Contributor
2,939 posts
73 reviews
6. Re: lufthansa business class service

I flew LH to Sao Paulo from Frankfurt in BC last month and while LH would not be first choice of carrier, they are far from terrible.

Seats are not true lie flat but recline at a slight angle. Yes, not as good as a fully lie flat option but I still managed seven hours of decent sleep. Seat width was fine for me and didn't seem any narrower than normal in business class.

IFE shows American movies and TV programmes, selection isn't that wide but still over 20 movies to chose from. Screen size is not that generous however.

I found the service to be excellent, champagne on boarding, cocktail quickly after take off. Menus distributed and there were four choices of appetiser and main. I had a tasty Carpaccio followed by beef with noodles finished with cheese and chocolate pudding. Wine was served frequently throughout the meal. Offerings were tasty and very edible. Bread selection included traditional German dark rye bread but also some lovely soft white rolls.

I must admit I pretty much went to sleep at this point and woke up just before breakfast.

Breakfast option was a traditional German cold cuts and cheese plate or scrambled eggs with sausage and bacon. I chose the latter and it was possible the tastiest eggs I've ever had on an airplane. Good selection of pastries, croissants and breads offered along with fresh fruit, juices and tea or coffee.

LH would not be my first choice, that would always be BA due simply to the seat but they are not a bad choice and if you can get the booking with miles at convenient times then I would say not to immediately discount LH

Edited: 4:46 pm, September 12, 2011
Level Contributor
156 posts
28 reviews
7. Re: lufthansa business class service

Thank you for your very positive review. But in light of what other reviewers wrote, and because dates of travel was of no consequence to us, we changed our reservations so that our only Lufthansa flight was from Cairo to Frankfurt and we will be on a Continental flight to Newark.

uk
Level Contributor
2,939 posts
73 reviews
8. Re: lufthansa business class service

Glad you managed to work it out.

CO would beat with LH for me too due to their lie flat seat on the EWR - FRA route but I personally prefered the service on LH.

Manchester, United...
12 posts
9. Re: lufthansa business class service

I know the Lufthansa business class it's so class espaeciallly the 3rd one.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
7,317 posts
84 reviews
10. Re: lufthansa business class service

Good choice Jean.

James... Wha????

Get answers to your questions