We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Agoda - the worst hotel booking website on the internet

Jakarta, Indonesia
reviews: 3
Agoda - the worst hotel booking website on the internet

Yesterday, I booked a 12 night stay at Fraser Place Central Seoul, South Korea using the agoda website.

I had a terrible experience dealing with the agoda customer service staff via email because I asked them to produce a receipt that shows the hotel rate that is separate from all the extra taxes. I remember seeing the hotel rate on the agoda website was about 180,000 korean won per night not including extra taxes. When I got the receipt, I saw that they just gave a total cost of 12 nights stay including the taxes which was USD 2416.23 or 2,614,896.34 korean won. This means that the price per night including tax is 217,908 korean won and the tax I'm paying is about 37,908 korean won per night. The tax is about 21% of the room rate. Ok, I understand that I have to pay the tax, I'm not disputing that, but what I'm asking them is for a breakdown of the hotel rate and the tax, which they seem to refuse to give me! I have been emailing them several times today asking them about this but got no reply. What is going on with Agoda? Are they trying to hide the fact that they are charging their customers extra taxes and worst of all, they have a smelly policy of not deducting one night's stay off your credit card if you cancel within 7 days. My booking was made within that time frame.

This is a warning to comsumers out there, do not deal with unethical hotel booking sites like agoda. It is a singaporean company and I'm sorry to say this, but some singaporean companies have the reputation of using unethical practices. Do not fall for agoda's trap of having the lowest rates, you might end up getting conned like me.

Please read other bad reviews of agoda:

complaintsboard.com/complaints/agoda-c37412.…

51. Re: Agoda - the worst hotel booking website on the internet

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:48 pm, September 30, 2013
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
reviews: 58
52. Re: Agoda - the worst hotel booking website on the internet

>>>agoda sometimes is slow with credit card<<<

How?

london
53. Re: Agoda - the worst hotel booking website on the internet

Search the some travel agency and book your hotels room ...................

delhi
54. Re: Agoda - the worst hotel booking website on the internet

Beware of Agoda

I booked with them (booking id 29764842) and have never felt more cheated in my life. They will guarantee best price and when you reach the hotel you find that actual price per room is less than half of what you have paid. So someone has made a killing out of your hard earned money. When you come back and complain you are told that price guarantee is only before stay and not afterwards. How are you supposed to inform Agoda when you are on a trip to a far off place with limited access to phone/ internet.

Be cautious when you book through Agoda cos chances are that they are fleecing you. Chances are if you complain all you are going to get back is an apology cos your money they have already accounted for in their profits !

Hong Kong, China
reviews: 84
55. Re: Agoda - the worst hotel booking website on the internet

No, i like Agoda. They have point accumulation for loyal members and i like their prepaid system before travelling. Makes my mind at ease as i'd paid before checking into my hotel

Edited: 12:11 am, August 03, 2013
Hong Kong, China
reviews: 84
56. Re: Agoda - the worst hotel booking website on the internet

Alternately, try www.booking.com

Pretty good but they only book the rooms for you, however you will need to pay on site in the hotel- something not i would prefer as i like paying before hand

Edited: 12:12 am, August 03, 2013
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
57. Re: Agoda - the worst hotel booking website on the internet

Interesting you mention two sister companies with the same parent.

Determination of payment is property specific, and not always pay at destination. Depending on the advertised rate, it can be a Pre-Pay rate.

Also with any pay at destination arrangements, you can obtain a CC Authorisation form by email from the hotel direct, and have them process payment prior to arrival.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
58. Re: Agoda - the worst hotel booking website on the internet

>>>They will guarantee best price and when you reach the hotel you find that actual price per room is less than half of what you have paid<<<

Very hard to determine your situation without more specifics, but I cannot believe that a hotel would advertise rates on Agoda that are double what they display on their own website - it goes against every business principle used in the industry.

Best price guarantees have stringent conditions, and operate against a dynamic pricing system. Just like airline rates, hotel rates fluctuate, thus a certain parameter in terms of time frame is required. I'm fairly certain it's stated in their T&C

Zagreb, Croatia
59. Re: Agoda - the worst hotel booking website on the internet

DON'T WORK WITH AGODA. I'm trying to contact them one week and no answers. When you need to pay something they are 100% accessible but if you need some help or support than you can forget them.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
60. Re: Agoda - the worst hotel booking website on the internet

I think bk's post #9 summed it up about it not being Business related.

The last post above also seems to indicate to me this thread has had it's time, especially in a fairly tidy forum.

At last count, there was near a dozen threads on this topic scattered around - more than enough.