We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Agoda - the worst hotel booking website on the internet

Jakarta, Indonesia
reviews: 3
Agoda - the worst hotel booking website on the internet

Yesterday, I booked a 12 night stay at Fraser Place Central Seoul, South Korea using the agoda website.

I had a terrible experience dealing with the agoda customer service staff via email because I asked them to produce a receipt that shows the hotel rate that is separate from all the extra taxes. I remember seeing the hotel rate on the agoda website was about 180,000 korean won per night not including extra taxes. When I got the receipt, I saw that they just gave a total cost of 12 nights stay including the taxes which was USD 2416.23 or 2,614,896.34 korean won. This means that the price per night including tax is 217,908 korean won and the tax I'm paying is about 37,908 korean won per night. The tax is about 21% of the room rate. Ok, I understand that I have to pay the tax, I'm not disputing that, but what I'm asking them is for a breakdown of the hotel rate and the tax, which they seem to refuse to give me! I have been emailing them several times today asking them about this but got no reply. What is going on with Agoda? Are they trying to hide the fact that they are charging their customers extra taxes and worst of all, they have a smelly policy of not deducting one night's stay off your credit card if you cancel within 7 days. My booking was made within that time frame.

This is a warning to comsumers out there, do not deal with unethical hotel booking sites like agoda. It is a singaporean company and I'm sorry to say this, but some singaporean companies have the reputation of using unethical practices. Do not fall for agoda's trap of having the lowest rates, you might end up getting conned like me.

Please read other bad reviews of agoda:

complaintsboard.com/complaints/agoda-c37412.…

Ipoh
reviews: 17
41. Re: Agoda - the worst hotel booking website on the internet

That's yr opinion, for what its worth.

Maui, Hawaii
reviews: 8
42. Re: Agoda - the worst hotel booking website on the internet

I had a similar experience with Agoda, and had to get my credit card company involved. I was also shocked that their website had no cancellation policy stated, until I had booked the room.

Agoda has said that they will refund my money (after 5 weeks of hassles), so I will be looking for the refund.

Sometimes they promise it, but it never shows up.

Look at other websites for complaints about this company.

Why did Priceline buy them? I will NEVER use Agoda or Priceline again.

43. Re: Agoda - the worst hotel booking website on the internet

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 3:35 pm, February 14, 2013
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney
reviews: 30
44. Re: Agoda - the worst hotel booking website on the internet

"I was also shocked that their website had no cancellation policy stated, until I had booked the room"

You should do a little research before you jump on the bandwagon.

Cancellation policies on any online travel agencies website is controlled by the hotel, not the OTA. If it isn't advertised on their website, it's the fault of the hotel.

Lets put it in laymans terms, if a food product sold in a supermarket, does not disclose it contains a certain chemical, is it the fault of the supermarket?

Maui, Hawaii
reviews: 8
45. Re: Agoda - the worst hotel booking website on the internet

I did receive my refund from Agoda, and then Agoda asked me to post the refund information on this website.

It has not changed my feelings about the company, but I am glad that they finally credited it back to my credit card (after 5 weeks of arguing with them!).

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney
46. Re: Agoda - the worst hotel booking website on the internet

"It has not changed my feelings about the company, but I am glad that they finally credited it back to my credit card (after 5 weeks of arguing with them!"

Absolutely you're entitled to feel that way, but good to hear they've honored your refund.

About the five weeks involved, much of this has to do with the time difference. You are based in the US, their head office is in Asia. They first have to verify details with the hotel - which again could be affected by time difference. We all like to think that in this day and age, everyone operates 24/7, which simply isn't the case. And often the hotel takes forever to reply to the agent as it involves a lot of bureaucratic goings back and forth. Once the go ahead is approved by the hotel to the agent, then the international transfer commences. Then there is the clearance time between their financial institution and yours - which isn't anybody's fault.

So in effect, four to five weeks is about normal for this kind of matter.

Edited: 1:07 pm, February 12, 2013
SF Bay Area
reviews: 1
47. Re: Agoda - the worst hotel booking website on the internet

Well - here are the reasons I would list them as the worst site.

1) policies for cancellation and change are quoted as being based on the hotel - they are not - they are considerably worse.

2) They state on the booking form that there is no charge for cancellation - but they do not mention that there is a time limit on that which is MUCH worse than industry average.

3) They charged credit card in full immediately - unlike every other booker I've ever worked with. I should have cancelled immediately I saw that.

4) Customer service is slow and extremely unclear and poor

Emphatically NOT worth the small saving in rate

48. Re: Agoda - the worst hotel booking website on the internet

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:32 am, October 09, 2013
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney
49. Re: Agoda - the worst hotel booking website on the internet

"1) policies for cancellation and change are quoted as being based on the hotel - they are not - they are considerably worse"

Oh yes they are, it's determined by the hotel, not the agent. If you've got proof otherwise, give us the example.

So you've obviously compared the cancellation policy on Agoda, and to the policy of the hotel, yet you still booked with them?

"2) They state on the booking form that there is no charge for cancellation - but they do not mention that there is a time limit on that which is MUCH worse than industry average"

What is the industry average?

And if they didn't mention the time limit, how did you find out?

Post the T&C so we can all read it.

"3) They charged credit card in full immediately - unlike every other booker I've ever worked with. I should have cancelled immediately I saw that"

It is stated clearly that all reservations are payment processed at time of the booking.

If you've never come across it before - "unlike any other booker" - why didn't you use one of your other previous online agents? And by stating you "should have cancelled", I'm assuming you chose to book with them anyways.

Chicago
reviews: 39
50. Re: Agoda - the worst hotel booking website on the internet

I have had NO problem with Agoda, nor did I have issues in Australia in 2010. Only issues are with booking.com

Get answers to your questions