We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

priority line protocol

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 49
priority line protocol

Has anyone else experienced the awkwardness of trying to get into a priority booking line when boarding? Yesterday when leaving CDG we approached the line, after leaving the lounge, and the "line" for business class passengers was rather wide, and appeared not to be moving. Yet, the sign for priority boarding was being held high. We assumed that the other passengers in line were traveling economy, so excused ourselves, and were then told by another passenger that we "must be special". I still feel embarassed by this, although we apologized and told him to please go ahead. He then responded, as his partner rolled her eyes, that they were not in that much of a hurry. I still do not know if they were in the line appropriate for their tickets, but I have certainly learned that next time I'll ask first. By the way, the boarding had been delayed by almost an hour, so those of us in the lounge had not been in lines like many others. Any feedback on this would be appreciated. Fortunately, we have no planned flights for several months.

UK
reviews: 47
1. Re: priority line protocol

I don't know why you are so sensitive about it; it's just one of the minor irritations of travel. Be grateful that you got to your destination alive and on the same day.

Edited: 7:29 am, June 08, 2011
Toronto, Canada
2. Re: priority line protocol

That's an interesting approach to flying, one that suggests economy travel might be your choice. However, I imagine that others who pay the extra for business class benefits also anticipate that those benefits will be comfortably provided, priority boarding being one of them. My sensitivity is more towards the situation we encountered in the "line", as it was not my intention to be rude, simply to exercise my paid for privilege. And yes, glad to get home on the same day as my husband had a train to catch several hours after arrival.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
reviews: 182
3. Re: priority line protocol

I don't know which airline, so I can't add too much specifically, but some airlines offer elite priority boarding to ALL elites, while some refine it to only top level elites or business class. Saying that, all depends on airline procedures. There are a lot of elite passengers out there who qualify minimally or buy elite status and it also depends on the routing or hub city. For example, fly Delta out of Atlanta and half the plane can be elite. In addition, some airlines are now offering early boarding as a buy-up feature when checking in. Anything to make the airlines a buck.

Toronto, Canada
4. Re: priority line protocol

Good point. It was Air Canada, and I don't know their habits. Some airlines do have ground crew who go along the line, requesting that b/c customers move to the front. I just don't like to have others think I'm skipping the queue inappropriately.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
5. Re: priority line protocol

That's a great point. Sometimes people don't actually listen to the boarding announcements either :(

Sydney/Melbourne
reviews: 41
6. Re: priority line protocol

I've never understood why anyone would want to get on a plane first. The last person to board arrives at the destination at the same time and has to spend less time on the aircraft. I would have though Business Class passengers would want the privilege of boarding after everyone else was seated.

DUS
7. Re: priority line protocol

Eva,

with sense of humour, we can't bear in mind human's genuine habits too much.

If it's about the shoe-thing with females, so is it about ranking and proving status in males often. ;-)

No matter how much to suffer, wearing fancy heels, impossible to walk in - women will stand it for the privilege of getting attention. ;-)

Similar to this, it doesn't matter to some, getting boarded first or last, as long as the boarding process proves their status, and allowes to show-off the Top Dog a bit. ;-)

Best prove of status is, not having to queue ! in line amongst "lower status". If therefore need to spend more time on board, fair enough! ;-)

But seriously:

Travelling a lot for business reasons, can sometimes be exhausting, due to meetings, or jetleg, or whatever. Security Fast Track and Priority Boarding helps a lot, not to waste time queuing. Even if waiting in a lounge for boarding, I can start relaxing, since have to get up again soon.

So I don't mind early boarding. The earlier I can park my bum into a seat, the earlier I can start to relax, loose tight cloth, finish some work at laptop. Or even start a nap, when having not slept well during the recent 30 hrs.

IME occasional elite travellers for holiday purposes rather often tend to show off with status and requesting advanced elite status treatment, as they consider to be entiteled for;

than frequent business travellers do, for whos the amenity of avoiding queues, often is a requisite to travel on a tight schedule.

Feel free to vote whether you like best the funny or the serious answer. ;-)

Cheers

KK

Edited: 5:48 am, June 09, 2011
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
8. Re: priority line protocol

KK - nice response. I like the funny response best :)

My primary reason to board early is so I can put my carryon bag in the overhead and be assured there is room so I don't have to gate check. That's pretty much it.

UK
reviews: 84
9. Re: priority line protocol

<<I've never understood why anyone would want to get on a plane first..>

As BK says, get your carry on bag into overhead, especially nowadays when most passengers seem to take the entire contents of their house onto the plane.

Cookham Dean...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
10. Re: priority line protocol

If I read correctly, the op travelled business class.......no shortage of space for hand luggage, unless you know different?

Get answers to your questions