We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any Packing Tips ?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
reviews: 668
Any Packing Tips ?

Hi all,

I've decided to start a post on Packing Tips which will hopefully help others. Any little tip will do - lets make this a BIG thread for the Business Travel Forum.

I'll start with a little one...

1) Fill your closed in shoes up with your socks & ties. I also place & pack electronic items inside the socks ie.. UBS sticks or camera, mobile chargers.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
reviews: 80
1. Re: Any Packing Tips ?

2) Pack at least one set of business clothes in your carry-on.

3) Go to the "Container Store" or similar and purchase a net or cloth bag. Use it to isolate your dirty clothes for those mid-trip changes of location.

4) Hotel laundry charges are minor, and if you are an Elite, the hotel often includes at least one article per day. Make use of the benefit, but ensure you check the box for "folded" instead of "hanger". It eases repacking.

Edited: 11:44 am, April 30, 2011
Aubrey, Texas
reviews: 145
2. Re: Any Packing Tips ?

I don't roll up ties to go into shoes. They are treated like trousers and folded in the suitcase with other clothing in between. Socks and tightly wound belts go into shoes. Dress and other fine shirts go into large, clear plastic packing bags so security can rummage through without disturbing the folds. I agree with having the immediate clothing needs in the carry-on which is where I pack any electronic gear like camera or netbook.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
3. Re: Any Packing Tips ?

True GeoM - " tick the box for "folded" - I hate hotels that bring back shirts on hangers especially after I've ticked the box & also highlighted FOLDED. Its happens to me all the time...

* We always carry an electric power strip & a Universal all in one adapter plug with us - ( A power strip is a block on the end of a power cable with a number of sockets usually 3 or more often arranged in a line.) We always have so many things we need to charge - Ipad, camera's, mobiles & having them all charging at the one time is a big plus for us.

London, United...
reviews: 19
4. Re: Any Packing Tips ?

I also use the four way adaptor, Ellemay, its saves on carrying several adaptors.

In my washbag I also carry (1) small pack of soap, the size you find in Thailand, just for my gym clothes, even though you can claim back from expenses but some hotels charge far too much for a simple gym top.

(2) a suction hook to hang things up in the bathroom. Just in case you don't know what this is, here is a link below.

amazon.co.uk/gp/…

Edited: 2:07 pm, May 01, 2011
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
5. Re: Any Packing Tips ?

Hi Screensilver

I also just use the all in one 4 way universal adapter but I also plug in the power strip with 4 sockets to charge all electronic items at once.

Those suction hooks look great - we carry a similar clothes line with suction hooks with us. I didn't realise you could buy them separately.

getprice.com.au/Design-Go-Travel-Clothes-Lin…

Edited: 8:17 pm, May 01, 2011
Sydney/Melbourne
reviews: 50
6. Re: Any Packing Tips ?

1. Roll, don't fold. It doesn't crease as much.

2. 'Stuff bags' from camping stores are great for dirty things - especially sweaty gym clothes. Smell proof and water proof

3. Carry on luggage only. Laptop bag + 10kg luggage should be enough.

4. Have the hotel send up an ironing board and an iron upon arrival. If you ask for it when you need it, it always takes ages to arrive!

5. Anything important (like USB sticks, transformers etc) without which I can't work travels with me in my laptop bag.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
7. Re: Any Packing Tips ?

I like your number 4 tip evamelb... lol, I hate the ironing board so I really like it when the hotel staff get it all wrong & bring it late. Ha . ha its already gone to the laundry !!

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
reviews: 80
8. Re: Any Packing Tips ?

Get a good checkpoint ready bag... one from which you don't have to remove you laptop. Great for transiting checkpoints in the US. They are even starting to be recognized sometimes in Australia, unofficially of course.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
9. Re: Any Packing Tips ?

hi GeoMedic,

What a good idea - I will have to buy hubby one for his birthday !

I don't think they are in Australia...

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
10. Re: Any Packing Tips ?

Scan all your paper information ie your passport, passport photos, credit card details etc..

Scan them all & send them to your own email address. At least you know where the copies are located if needed.

Get answers to your questions