We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best luggage for keeping a good business suit nice

Northern New Jersey
reviews: 107
best luggage for keeping a good business suit nice

When "business casual" attire won't do, but you have a long flight, a long trip, and will be checking your baggage, what kind of suitcase is best to keep a business suit looking nice? We usually travel more casual with smaller, softer bags, but not this time. I remember my dad's Samsonite or Invicta hard-sided "two suiters" from the 1960s but I don't know if they make them any more. I don't mind spending a reasonable amount, but am not a fan of truly high-end luggage for many reasons and will not be looking at Hartmann, Vuitton, etc. Are there any other strategies? Maybe SeatGuru shows whether the plane has a hanging coat closet, and if it does, the suit could travel on a hanger in a garment bag (or board the plane wearing the suit, with casual clothing and a soft garment bag in the carryon, and then change into casual in the bathroom and put the suit on a hanger?) Jut flying in the suit is not an option on a long flight or redeye -- I am afraid it will become rumpled, stained or smelly.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
reviews: 182
1. Re: best luggage for keeping a good business suit nice

I have found that it's not the bag (ie. garment, roller, suit sleeve, etc), but it's the way you pack. I roll my suits and when I reach my destination I hang them in a shower to steam for a short time. This works for most trips, except when I need to run directly to a meeting from the airport. Even in those cases, I still find rolling is better than folding.

Northern New Jersey
2. Re: best luggage for keeping a good business suit nice

That's an interesting idea. How do you do it? Do fold the shoulders in toward the lapels and then roll from the collar down, or something else? Do you stuff the sleeves with tissue or anything? For creased pants, lay them flat to maintain the creases and then roll from the cuffs up? I know it may be hard to describe, but I would appreciate any guidance. Thanks.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
reviews: 182
3. Re: best luggage for keeping a good business suit nice

I use the technique similar to what's in this article: www.mademan.com/mm/how-roll-suit-travel.html

Northern New Jersey
4. Re: best luggage for keeping a good business suit nice

That's a great link. Makes sense. Thank you.

New Brunswick
Destination Expert
for Travel Gadgets and Gear, New Brunswick
reviews: 194
5. Re: best luggage for keeping a good business suit nice

I absolutely agree - it is not he case but the packing. I usually stuff the shoulders of DH's jacket with tissue or socks and fold with Tshirts between the fold. Hang the suit as soon as you can and take it with you into the bathroom when you have a bath/shower - the steam will help relax the fabric.

The better the material your suit is made from the less trouble you will have. My mother was a tailor and taught me to scrunch a handfull of fabric before buying clothing to see how it creased - it works and has stopped me making expensive mistakes.

Northern New Jersey
6. Re: best luggage for keeping a good business suit nice

Good advice. That was a good tip from your mom. Thanks.

Texas
reviews: 140
7. Re: best luggage for keeping a good business suit nice

If you'll need the suit right away after arrival, pack it loosely in your carry-on bag. I've never had a suit come out of checked luggage with no creases however it was packed. Pure wool is the best material, the finer the better, which will hang out wrinkles overnight. The scrunching technique mentioned by keenvisitor was shown to me by an Irish tailor. That and the feeling of the wool as you run your fingers across it - looking for a soft "fine hand" - are the ways to judge the quality of wool

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
reviews: 500
8. Re: best luggage for keeping a good business suit nice

I always just fold my hubby's jacket & its always the last item to go into the bag. I usually put it in the top separate jacket compartment of our suitcase. As soon as we arrive at our hotel I take it out & hang it up...it usually looks perfect for his meeting the next morning.

Folding a Jacket correctly however takes practice...

This link may also help you regarding packing tips.

askandyaboutclothes.com/Travel/easy_packing_…

Northern New Jersey
9. Re: best luggage for keeping a good business suit nice

That is a terrific link. Even when you've kind of figured out a lot of this through experience, it is so helpful to have someone pull it all together.

reviews: 27
10. Re: best luggage for keeping a good business suit nice

One tip that's helped me avoid wrinkles: Anyplace there's a fold that might be unsightly for a wrinkle is a good place to be filled by other clothing....socks, underwear, etc. Even better if there's plastic film between the folded item and the "stuffing."

Get answers to your questions