We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

carry on specifics

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 49
carry on specifics

We'll be flying Air Canada, then United. AC is specific re: carry on size for each of two bags, UA less so, giving dimensions and weight only for the first. Since we do not plan on any checked luggage, any information on this would be appreciated.

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 49
11. Re: carry on specifics

Good point, DCH. it's always best to do a thorough check with the carrier. An upcoming trip to Ireland has had me spend a bit of time on this, as the BA carry on allowance is generous, Aer Lingus minimal, and the Heathrow security even different from them. I'm going with the AL one as the smart move is to not take a risk.

New Brunswick
Destination Expert
for Travel Gadgets and Gear, New Brunswick
reviews: 194
12. Re: carry on specifics

On smaller aircraft Air canada has 'skycheck' - you put your carry-on on a rack as you board, they go in the hold last and come out first - you pick-up as you leave the plane.

Travelling round Europe this summer we had to adhere to the lowest baggage allowances - Ryanair 15kg checked 10kg cabin - one bag. We went to Europe on Air Transat but the flight was actually Thomas Cook - good job I checked as they have different rules 5kg carry-on and 20kg checked, and they weighed both the bags

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
reviews: 77
13. Re: carry on specifics

On Air Canada, pay particular attention to the weight restrictions. It is covered by law as opposed to airline policy. While most of the time they don't check, if you are checked in by a trainee being supervised, or they see you struggling with a bag, they may ask to weigh it. If you aren't in business class ("Executive") and can store your bag in the closet, if it is overweight, they will check it for you.

New Brunswick
Destination Expert
for Travel Gadgets and Gear, New Brunswick
reviews: 194
14. Re: carry on specifics

I agree. We always adhere to the policy of the airline and if using multiple airlines to the most stringent one

15. Re: carry on specifics

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:17 pm, October 25, 2012
Get answers to your questions