We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

carry on specifics

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 50
carry on specifics

We'll be flying Air Canada, then United. AC is specific re: carry on size for each of two bags, UA less so, giving dimensions and weight only for the first. Since we do not plan on any checked luggage, any information on this would be appreciated.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
reviews: 182
1. Re: carry on specifics

You mean like this? united.com/page/article/0,6867,1032,00.html

Toronto, Canada
2. Re: carry on specifics

Thanks- I had looked at that page. Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see any details re: size for that personal piece. AC gives specs for both. We will each have a carry on, to specs, as well as one computer bag and one camera backpack. They are within AC guidelines. I'd hate to be told that either is too large, hence my concern with United.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
reviews: 182
3. Re: carry on specifics

You just stated that you each have 3 items, so one thing is for sure - United is within their rights to ask you to consolidate into 2 bags (they may or may not actually do so). My rule of thumb that always works is that one carryon goes in the overhead and my computer bag goes under the seat in front of me. I've seen a lot of variations for a computer bag (there is no set standard, but it must be less than 9x14x22). On some regional jets, you often have to gate check your larger carryon because the overheads are sometimes too small.

Toronto, Canada
4. Re: carry on specifics

My error in composing. We each have a carry-on, (Land's end Flightwise roll duffle), I have a camera bag, my husband has a computer bag. I often wear a small flat cross body bag with tissues, lip balm and passport inside my jacket. We have frequently traveled this way with other airlines, and my concern, perhaps needless, is with the lack of specs from UA. I appreciate your response.

Mesa, Arizona
reviews: 7
5. Re: carry on specifics

If you have a camera bag AND a "cross body" bag...that may not work. YOu may have to put the cross body bag INSIDE the camera bag.

New Brunswick
Destination Expert
for Travel Gadgets and Gear, New Brunswick
reviews: 220
6. Re: carry on specifics

AC lets you have a carry-on and a personal item plus a purse 25x30x14cm (10x12x5.5inches).

I usually make sure that , if necessary, I can put my purse inside my carry-on bag.

I travel with only the AC allowance and have been abroad for 3 months successfully and have found that only the small cheaper airlines like easyjet and ryanair have lesser allowances.

Edited: 12:43 pm, April 27, 2011
Toronto, Canada
7. Re: carry on specifics

Thanks. We had no difficulties at all. The flat purse went into the carry on bag until we boarded. then I put it in the seat pocket. Our luggage was not weighed at either airport, likely because we'd printed boarding passes at home. Now we'll see what happens on the way home.

Windsor, Ontario...
8. Re: carry on specifics

What carry-on specifics are there for international flights (Air Canada) to and from Israel?

Toronto, Canada
9. Re: carry on specifics

Check their web site and the info should be there. Usually there is a different allowance for long haul international flights; often, the larger the plane, the larger the carry on allowance.

Newmarket, Canada
reviews: 36
10. Re: carry on specifics

@piratepirate, I don't think that's the case with AC. There are different allowances for checked baggage depending on the destination, but I believe carry-on allowances are the same no matter what AC flight you are on. On some of the smaller flights they may not have room for larger carry on bags in the overhead bins, and stash them to a different locker upon boarding, but the allowance is basically the same.

Get answers to your questions