We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Etihad Business Class

Kuching, Malaysia
reviews: 6
Etihad Business Class

Found a pretty good deal on Etihad Business Class SIN/MAN later this year and seriously thinking about taking it now.l Any feedback please on Etihad Business Class, have used Qatar and Emirates and Singapore previously. SIA too expensive and not too keen to have to use the Emirates 380.

United Kingdom
reviews: 79
1. Re: Etihad Business Class

I would vote for the a380 any day. I was very apprehensive but now wish all planes were a380s. I believe there is a long lay over in Abu dhabi from what I've hear there is nothing there!

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 34
2. Re: Etihad Business Class

We travel business class between Melbourne & UK at least once every year. We got a a great deal, travelling First Class with Etihad 2 years ago but were given the wrong info when making the booking and failed to pay before their deadline. Etihad refused to honour the expired offer. I was disgusted with their Customer Relations and was determined never to fly with them again. We ended up travelling Korean that year and we were very disappointed. Last year we flew Qatar and found them to be fantastic - tjhe best yet. Only complaint with Qatar is that they cut their schedules fine and both into UK and back we literally came off one flight and onto the next - never got to see their Doha lounge!

HOWEVER! This year, we got a great deal going First Class with Etihad to UK in June. They have a fantastic lounge in AD and if your in the business lounge it doesn't matter what else is going on. We have just over 2 hours between flights both ways which is just enough I think. The Limo at the other end is also a real benefit & takes all the hassle out of getting to your hotel at the other end.. Although this will be the first time we have flown with Etihad, from discussing it with my friends, I believe their is little to chose between Qatar, Emirates & Etihad for safety, in-flight service and terminal facilities and therefore the primary factor will be price and connectivity.

The major problem with these airlines is the poor quality of on-line and ground-based Customer support in Europe and Australia.

My advise would be to go with Etihade but ask what the difference is between their Business Class offer and their First Class price and, if you can, splash out.

Remeber you can only spend it once!

Enjoy

Kuching, Malaysia
reviews: 6
3. Re: Etihad Business Class

Thank you for posting, I think we are going ahead with Etihad, although they get quite a lot of critical feedback there is only one experience to count and that's your own but I would be interested to hear your feedback after your trip in June, maybe you could send me a pm. Qatar get lots of good comments yet our last trip on them was not too good in Business Class. Outward journey MAN/KUL was finr but at KUL on return there was no Businesscheck-in and we found our preallocated seats had been given to another party who had been bumped up from Ecomony !!! we had to fly seperate seating to Doha having failed also to get the onboard FA's to try to move us around. When I wrote to Qatar on return they actually said that they thought only 1 sector out of 4 with problems was acceptable but thanked me for the feedback. I also lost my Q card at the end of the year and by the time I had succeeded in sorting that out, my 21000+ Qmiles had expired so I lost them all.

Melbourne, Australia
4. Re: Etihad Business Class

I'll keep you informed of our June flight with Etihad.

Shame about your last Qatar Business flight - totally different to ours which really could not have been improved. It is interesting to see that they, along with the other Middle East (ME) airlines appear to be trying to follow Emirates pricing strategy which places them in the same price range as SIA, Qantas & BA. I suspect they will not be able to maintain this unless they can improve their customer relations service and admin processes.

What are your thoughts on frequent flier (FF) programs. It seems to me that they are a total waste of time unless your credit car is linked to it and/or your company is paying the bills and doesn't care what they cost. We have points with dozens of airlines now which we will never get to use because we will always go for the airline that provides a reasonable service at the cheapest cost. Although there is a trade-off, we are usually willing to pay a little extra to be bumped up to the next level. It's interesting that the ME airlines appear to have the worst FF programs. It will be interesting to see how Etihad go with Virgin. We have mega points with Qantas but won't use them to fly internationally because of their crap service and amazing ability to lose luggage! We use them for internal flights.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
reviews: 77
5. Re: Etihad Business Class

"We have points with dozens of airlines now which we will never get to use because we will always go for the airline that provides a reasonable service at the cheapest cost."

All you need is one plan per airline alliance. That way you earn points in one place no matter which airline of an alliance you use. It is certainly a waste to spread them all over the place. Probably, most of your points have been taken away from you as you have to earn or use points in almost every program within certain time limits.

As far as are they good? You better believe they are. And since this is the business travel forum, most of the posters here do have others paying the way.

Edited: 7:36 am, March 13, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
6. Re: Etihad Business Class

The two major alliances here in Oz are One World (Qantas, BA) & Star Alliance (SIA, Thai, Luftansa, United etc). I'm in both FF Clubs. and they do rack up the points (but usually from my credit cards). Unfortunately our experience flying Qantas & BA, particularly in Europe, has been abysmal and I just won't fly with them (unless they come up with an offer we can't refuse or our points get to a level where we canuse our points to fly).

However, now the Middle East Airlines are taking market share from One World and Star Alliance because they offer cheaper fares, quality service & one-stop into Europe out of Melbourne on new planes. But they ain't linked with the clubs. So I have points with all of them, because the special offers don't last and so I move to another airline. I'd certainly show loyalty & stick with one if it offered the best service and the cheapest tickets, but they don't!

We have recently started cruising and notice the same thing happening with the cruise companies! (P&O's Portunis Club for example (which has just increased its Club from 3 to 6 levels)) I agree it is a waste to spread the points all over the place but it's an even bigger waste to pay more than you have to for a service.

I'm also a member of the Hilton program. They've taken me back to zero twice! However, I continue to use their hotels when they are offering a good deal because I feel they provide a quality service and I don't care if I never get an upgrade from them!

I think the main issue is that, since I stopped doing the regular short hop domestic flights, I' not racking up the points with my local airlines and so not seeing the benefits that I used to, but I still enjoy travelling in comfort.

Newmarket, Canada
reviews: 35
7. Re: Etihad Business Class

Even though some of the mideast airlines are not members of One World or Star Alliance, that doesn't mean you need to settle for earning points in their specific programs. Many of these airlines are partners with one or more specific partner airlines who may be members of a different alliance.

For example, I believe Emirates, while not a part of * Alliance, has a partnership of some sort with United Airlines. You could join United's loyalty program, take flights with Emirates and have those points accrue in your United account, and then use them for redemptions with any * Alliance airline.

I think Etihad has a partnership with Virgin Australia, whose points you may find useful where you live.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
reviews: 77
8. Re: Etihad Business Class

"I'm also a member of the Hilton program. They've taken me back to zero twice!"

Hah!... Me too. I just kept forgetting about them. Hilton points are the Rupiah of the hotel world these days. I just returned from spending a bunch of points to stay in Barcelona. In many places in the hotel they had ads promoting the use of Sixt car rental saying that they would give you 500 Hilton points,,, a bit of quick arithmetic... only 100 car rentals to get one free night at the Hilton. That being said, many of my clients want me to stay at the Hilton so I picked up one of their AMEX cards... someplace around 30 points per Hilton dollar spend helps the inflation sting.

DHC said "Many of these airlines [Middle Eastern] are partners with one or more specific partner airlines who may be members of a different alliance."

Yes indeed, but they usually only earn you base miles and do not help with EQM. CO has had a Dubai codeshare with them (only via London) for years.

9. Re: Etihad Business Class

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 6:05 pm, July 22, 2011
10. Re: Etihad Business Class

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:01 am, October 20, 2011
Edited: 6:01 am, October 20, 2011
Get answers to your questions