We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Remember this when checking in:

Edmonton, Canada
Destination Expert
for Edmonton, Travel Gadgets and Gear
reviews: 47
Remember this when checking in:

Saw this someplace just recently:

budgettravel.com/bt-dyn/…AR2006111500285.html

New Brunswick
Destination Expert
for Travel Gadgets and Gear, New Brunswick
reviews: 194
11. Re: Remember this when checking in:

Even if I do have a complaint I always let the persson I am complaining (politely of course) to know that I realise that it is not their fault.

As the last poster (and probably ALL our grandmothers) said "..good manners cost nothing...".

Midwest
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel
reviews: 113
12. Re: Remember this when checking in:

People always forget/disregard tipping desk clerks, but ironically, they control 90%+ of your stay...? Just a tiny bit of courtesy, whether cash or otherwise, can get you a smile, empathy, and sometimes a fair bit more.

Even so... if they are surly when you approach them, a gratuity won't suddenly turn them into the best associate ever. Discernment advised. :)

New Brunswick
Destination Expert
for Travel Gadgets and Gear, New Brunswick
reviews: 194
13. Re: Remember this when checking in:

I am not so sure about tipping the reception staff though. My MIL did that once and the receptionist was absolutely horrified.

14. Re: Remember this when checking in:

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:20 am, July 05, 2011
California
15. Re: Remember this when checking in:

I received better deals when I booked at the hotels.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
reviews: 50
16. Re: Remember this when checking in:

I always check the discounters, but normally book through the hotel. In the rare instance the discounters are offering a lower rate (which usually has to be prepaid) I email the hotel and ask if they will match it.

The only time I book through a discounter is for business travel - our corp travel agent is travelocity now. But, if I see a lower rate, I can book direct.

And, being loyal to hotel groups works - even if you have to book through a discounter due to the corp. travel policy. It always pays to join the affinity program before any stay.

suitcaseready.com

Manchester, United...
17. Re: Remember this when checking in:

Hello Everybody,

Really a so interesting article, thank you for posting, i can help :)

Helsinki, Finland
reviews: 7
18. Re: Remember this when checking in:

Thanks for the interesting article, I enjoyed it a lot!!

Boynton Beach...
reviews: 232
19. Re: Remember this when checking in:

I always figured this - and have found to be true for most part. Book direct - there aren't the huge booking fees that the discount sites charge

20. Re: Remember this when checking in:

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:21 am, January 20, 2013
Get answers to your questions