We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

No longer using Hilton Honors

Abu Dhabi, United...
reviews: 61
No longer using Hilton Honors

I will no longer be using my Hilton Honors membership card - refer to the link below for an open letter written to the CEO of Hilton Worldwide - - -

…blogspot.com/2010/02/hilton-honors-amendmen…

83 replies to this topic
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
reviews: 77
1. Re: No longer using Hilton Honors

Charles... Interesting. You do know that Marriott Rewards is far far worse in terms of their devaluation of points don't you? See all the talk on that topic at flyertalk. You may find, as has Hilton, that the flood of people away from Marriott and towards Hilton and Starwood will give you a lot of extra space for your occasional stay.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
reviews: 182
2. Re: No longer using Hilton Honors

I'm with Geo on this one, too....and I've been a loyal, recently earned "lifetime", Marriott stayer. The only difference is the devaluation at Marriott has happened gradually over a number of years and not all at once. But, based on my business and personal travel patterns, I will continue to stay at all 3 - Marriott, Hilton, and Starwood - with reduced expectations all around. Same with airlines, too.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
3. Re: No longer using Hilton Honors

Ahh bk_t1, I just spent a week in your town... well... on the periphery. Airport Hyatt and Airport Hyatt Place as there is nothing much available in the southpointe area. I've had my fill of slush for a while now.

Charles, have you considered merchandise for your points? There seems to be a slower devaluation in that direction.

Abu Dhabi, United...
reviews: 61
4. Re: No longer using Hilton Honors

Thanks, I have not considered merchandise, but following your suggestion I will investigate. Regards from Dubai.

Clearwater, Florida
5. Re: No longer using Hilton Honors

Beware of an even worse outcome. If you have a lapse of activity, Hilton Honors will steal the rug right under you and remove all of your points without even an attempt of advance communication. I just was notified of losing over 400 hundred thousand points. And when I contacted customer service I was advised that they would only reactivate half now and then the remaining other half if I stayed at least three nights in a Hilton in the next three months. Basically, extortion or strong arm negotiations.

Needless to say, Hilton doesn't care about it's loyal customers. Stay at Marriott, at least they seem to care.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
6. Re: No longer using Hilton Honors

You are lucky they are reinstating anything. Almost all loyalty plans have utilization based point expiry. It is something you have to keep on top of.

Which reminds me...

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
reviews: 182
7. Re: No longer using Hilton Honors

It's interesting that loyalty can be so subjective from either side, the business and the customer. While I am a loyal customer of Marriott, they have the right to take all my accumulated points away, too - I believe it's 2 years of no stays or account activity. Expectations of loyalty have changed a lot over the past 20 years I've traveled and I've changed my expectations, too. It's simple, if you don't want to lose your points, then know when they expire. I subscribe to www.awardwallet.com and it does it for me (there are other services like this, too)

Edited: 3:56 pm, July 30, 2010
8. Re: No longer using Hilton Honors

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 2:05 am, November 29, 2010

Texas
reviews: 141
9. Re: No longer using Hilton Honors

"Beware of an even worse outcome. If you have a lapse of activity, Hilton Honors will steal the rug right under you and remove all of your points without even an attempt of advance communication."

Yep. The same thing happened to me when I didn't stay at a Hilton for awhile after I retired. No notice at all which isn't good customer relations. We still travel quite a lot, but don't stay in Hilton affiliated properties.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
10. Re: No longer using Hilton Honors

Sadly, nearly all loyalty programs wipe out your account after a period of non-use. You might talk to them and ask nicely, but HHonors isn't doing anything that others aren't. You always have to be cognizant of the rules of your program. You did, after all, check a box at some point saying that you had read and agreed to all the rules.

Reply to: No longer using Hilton Honors
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions