We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ethical hotels

Sydney, Australia
Ethical hotels

Hi everyone,

I'm involved in a project in Australia to set up standards so hotels can be certified as ethical. The kinds of criteria I'm interested in are how hotels treat their staff, do they have a genuine commitment to the environment and things like that.

When I choose hotels, I try to find out this kind of stuff and it will often influence my decision on where to stay, so I wanted to find out if this matters to other people who stay in hotels often.

Would a ratings system that measured hotels against different standards be useful to people? Do you think it is a good idea?

cheers,

Andrew

Cherry Hill, NJ
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
reviews: 35
1. Re: Ethical hotels

If it could be found to be verifiable and accurate I would definitely use it as a resource..

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
reviews: 72
2. Re: Ethical hotels

Hi,

If the ratings involved things that were quantifiable and/or objective in nature I think that there would be appeal.. The only hard thing is to "rate" how someone is treated.. I mean you can establish some basic metrics-- but beyond that, how do you really measure 'treatment'... I can see part of the 'ethical' part being pay scales.. Does the employer pay a "living wage"??

I like the environmental standards part--- How about community involvement?.. I like to see businesses be a part of the local community in which they operate.. Creating local jobs, buying local goods/services, providing mentoring opportunities, etc.. All things that I think businesses can easily 'give' to the people in the communities in which they operate AND also get 'rewards' both immiediately (publicity, tax credits, etc. ) and possibly later on (pre-trained workforce, future customer loyalty, brand name recognition, etc.)...

Annecy/aviernoz
reviews: 1
3. Re: Ethical hotels

Hello Andrew.

We are on the receiving end,you are our clients.

Our auberge in the Haute Sovoie France, for us it is very inportant that you enjoy everything local as far a possible.We came to Aviernoz 20 years ago is a small village and needs you to discover it's beauty as we have and are still doing.

Suzanne

Sydney, Australia
4. Re: Ethical hotels

Thanks everyone for your opinions so far.

As far as standards go, on the employment front - we could use things like pay scales definitely, but also look at things like workloads. I've heard some stories in Australia from housekeepers who've had the number of rooms they have to clean in a day increased so they feel they are not able to do the best job they can on each room anymore.

Community involvement is a great idea. I think a lot of people would prefer to support hotels that are actually part of their local community.

What else do you think would define an "ethical hotel"?

We've also had some ideas for the name as well. We'd call it "The First Star - Ethical Hotels". What do you think?

Sydney, Australia
5. Re: Ethical hotels

Hi everyone,

So we finally launched this project to create standards so Austrailan hotels can be certified as ethical. Thanks to everyone for your input, it has been really valuable to get community feedback. Since we started discussion on this topic, we've officially launched the project, called The First Star.

The First Star is all about trying to introduce good ethical practice into the luxury hotel industry. We believe a luxurious hotel stay shouldn't come at the cost of hotel workers, the environment, or basic human rights principles. And we think people who stay at these hotels agree with us.

The first step in creating an ethical luxury experience is to find out what is really going on downstairs in the kitchens, laundries, luggage rooms, energy systems and supply chains of five and four and half star hotels. And we make this promise to the community of travellers, workers, investors and host communities; if we know, we will let you know. That way all of us can decide if the hotel we stay with, work for, invest in or are neighbours of, are worth the cost.

So, over the past few weeks workers have been letting First Star know what is going in their hotels.

As far as is possible, we will make this a transparent and live appraisal of where the luxury hotel industry is at in terms of their treatment of staff, the environment and basic human rights principles. After all, if the unexamined life is not worth living, surely the unethical hotel is not worth staying in.

Come and visit The First Star at http://thefirststar.com.au and let us know what you think!

6. Re: Ethical hotels

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, February 03, 2010
Get answers to your questions