We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Delta Cancelled Flight

blackpool
reviews: 7
Delta Cancelled Flight

I booked a flight with Delta (Operated by Southeast) last June 08 for a flight from Orlando to Nassau on the 4th Feb 2009 to return on the 20th Feb. I arrived in Orlando at my hotel where they had a computer and free internet access where I checked to see what time check-in was. To my horror I found that there were no flights that day. So I phoned Delta from the hotel who were providing free calls, to be told that flights had been cancelled I think she said since last August. So I asked how do I get to Nassau the next day and was told me to book with another airline. I asked will you pay the extra and was told I would only get a refund of my original ticket about $210. (This was after being asked the credit card you booked the flight with, date etc and put through to 3 different departments only to repeat myself each time, and get more frustrated each time, but still trying not to show my anger). I looked up AA airline on the net and their price was $878.20 via Miami. I did manage to buy a ticket with Jet Blue (which I could recommend) which was direct at $301.20. If this flight was full, naturally I would have had to pay the $878.20 which is considerably a lot more than that $210 booked with Delta. I emailed Delta to complain to get a reply of sympathy but sorry no compensation. I replied again to complain at the extra cost and got the same reply we only refund your ticket cost. I am a 60+ old gentleman but what if it was a 80+ old lady traveling for the first time on her own to see a son/relative/friend who had paid the ticket – imagine how she would have felt, it would have been VERY distressing for her as it was for me – Delta did not contact me either by phone or email to say the flight had been cancelled. I see they have a Rule 240 but they are trying to ignore me, and I presume unlikely to get anywhere further with their complaints department, should I write to Richard H. Anderson their COE to see how he reacts. What would you advise me to do to get my extra costs back from Delta. Let this be a warning not to fly with Delta.

Waupaca, WI
Destination Expert
for Gay Travel
reviews: 98
1. Re: Delta Cancelled Flight

Delta has a bad system of changing and canceling flights without email notification of the passenger--see the airlines forum. They are also of the mind set that if you ignore a person, they probably will go away. I'd send and Email or a snail mail letter via fedex/ups to the CEo's office directly. Good luck.

blackpool
2. Re: Delta Cancelled Flight

Many thanks for your comments much appreciated. You say "I'd send and Email or a snail mail letter via fedex/ups to the CEo's office directly. " As I am in the UK at the moment it could take a few days for British Post to send to him. Do you know the address of the CEO or his personal email that I can send either too. I did look at http://www.topix.com/forum/com/dal for Delta, is the right one but found no thread for cancelled flights or compensation !

Thanks Again

Brian

Waupaca, WI
Destination Expert
for Gay Travel
reviews: 98
3. Re: Delta Cancelled Flight

Delta Airlines, 1030 Delta blvd., Atlanta, GA 30320-6001 USA

Main Phone (you can call and ask for pres office fax number: 404-715-2600

blackpool
4. Re: Delta Cancelled Flight

Many Thanks

You have been more than helpful, and I do appreciate you contacting me via Trip Advisor. I hope others take note of my comments. Yes I will write or try and fax as you suggest. I woder how many more passengers get the same problem with Delta DID YOU ? Thanks again Brian

Birmingham, Alabama
reviews: 34
5. Re: Delta Cancelled Flight

Forget the president and try their head of customer service. I don't know the email but once I had a major issue and googled Delta VP of customer service or something and found an email address -- sent an email -- and actually got a phone call and some assistance with my problem.

blackpool
6. Re: Delta Cancelled Flight

Thanks - I did write to their CEO but I have not had any reply. Not best the Airline for comunication or as it seems to fly with. Do you know the persons name to email? I shall try a google and see what happens. Thanks again Brian

India
7. Re: Delta Cancelled Flight

As Delta airlines is relatively a cheaper airlines, so cancellation of flights frequently happens there, I too had come across same problems two times. Though they made full refund but didn’t help to find another alternative. After inquiring in to details, I came to know that they reserve the right to do so, hence sufferer can take no action.

Birmingham, Alabama
reviews: 34
8. Re: Delta Cancelled Flight

"Delta is a cheaper airline"? uh...no, not really. Perhaps compared to Emirates or Singapore Airlines or whatever but it's pretty on par with airlines in the states in terms of prices and service. Air travel in much of the world just ain't what it used to be. Try Iberia. Or Aer Lingus in Ireland -- a 20 Euro flight ended up costing me >100 in the end after I paid to check a bag, select my seat, etc, etc.

9. Re: Delta Cancelled Flight

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:28 am, October 21, 2009