We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

question for business travelers

Dubai
question for business travelers

Hi there

I have a quick question for you, because I'm writing a story on business travel...with the downturn in the economy and the reduction of guest numbers, hotels are talking about cutting costs. I'm interested in what you think are inappropriate measures--for example, if you had to watch local TV instead of the slicker pay tv packages that have the latest series and movies? Or if some of the facilities were closed?

Thanks for taking a minute to answer this--I'm on deadline :)

London, United...
reviews: 12
11. Re: question for business travelers

Maknowsbest, Agreed but I don't think that the recession will last long, I think the challenge will be getting businesses to start spending again.

With the banks & other lines of credit freezing up businesses, especially privately held ones will be spending as little as possible and that will be the worst thing for economies across the world.

I live in the UK & the government is pushing an economic stimulus package. They realise the importance of spending.... Fingers crossed we can too.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
reviews: 498
12. Re: question for business travelers

Its the same in Australia the government is offering economic stimulus package but we have yet to see the outcome of it..

Birmingham, Alabama
reviews: 33
13. Re: question for business travelers

Ma, I travel plenty for business and those are our rules recession or no recession. And often it's not a taxi, it's public transit. Personally I like figuring out a cheaper way and I've gotten pretty good at it ... your husband should be thankful for time spent in first class hotels and in business class. I've done economy to Asia/Pac Rim more times than I like to think about :)

springfield
14. Re: question for business travelers

konagirl, my husband is a bit spoiled, even when we travel together i have to rein him in on spending, i'm the one who likes to figure out how to save a buck even if i can afford it. his hotel and travel perks were just that, perks, he is given a budget by the company and doesn't get credit for saving anything, he is expected to consume. now it's different and he is not a happy camper, especially when it comes to basic hotels. he is not looking forward to not sleeping in a memory foam mattress with matching duvet and 600 thread count sheets, he is SUCH a baby. i joke with him that for his birthday i am buying him a travel sheet and some anti bacterial wipes :)

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
reviews: 77
15. Re: question for business travelers

While the OP's deadline has presumably passed, this is an interesting conversation.

I spend at least half my year travelling... Platinum at Marriott, Diamond at Hyatt, elite on several airlines, you know, the usual sort of stuff.

I would never miss the pay movies (not allowed them anyway), but I agree, a hotel that drops them is more likely to suffer complaints.

TV channel selection varies around the world and good selection does make a difference. I've had more English channels in Shanghai than I've had in London. I spent a year in Holland and english shows and channels were plentiful. They don't dub the movies there.

I'm not sure what the OP meant by "if some of the facilities were closed".

Edmonton, Canada
Destination Expert
for Edmonton, Travel Gadgets and Gear
reviews: 47
16. Re: question for business travelers

Jenny_Max; if you are still monitoring your OP ....

I would hope that hotels would not cut back on services or amenities, i.e. the "facilities" you note.

However, if a hotel were to close one wing or floor of a building -- is this what you meant by facilities -- in order to reduce utility costs, that I can understand.

In my opinion (IMO), if a hotel wants to maintain any current rating/ranking, e.g. 5 star, given it by a hotel association and wants to cut back on services, it best offer a fee-for-service on a sliding scale. This would only be the fair thing to do.

17. Re: question for business travelers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:21 am, October 23, 2009