We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Egypt

Sheffield, United...
reviews: 14
Egypt

Thinking of solo travel to Egypt during April for 7 days but not sure if it would be safe.

I have been looking at shoestring tours. No one has booked any of the tours to Egypt as of yet so not sure if it is safe. Has any one had experience of this tour company I have read some info but would like first hand experience.

10 replies to this topic
U.K.
Destination Expert
for Avebury, Egypt
reviews: 86
1. Re: Egypt

No recent reports of travelling in Egypt with Shoestring but you may like to read this thread:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g294200-i9124-k4…

The Egypt forum is the most appropriate place to enquire about tours and safety.

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
reviews: 85
2. Re: Egypt

Wanderer, it would depend on where you intended to go.

In 7 days I would expect you would do the usual tourist sights so as pausilypon says, read the Egypt forum ie the areas you are wanting to go. Read the top questions and use common sense. Don't go near any hot spots or wander off down back streets making yourself vulnerable.

You need to be aware of what is happening and where so that you can plan around it and then you should be fine.

The company and holiday you mention is in a long thread. Please do read all of it because there is a lot going on. I can see some things in the original post which quite honestly are just Egypt and the norm of what is expected. There is also an excellent explanation from the guide towards the end.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g294200-i9124-k4…

As someone says, you get what you pay for and in Egypt always expect to pay more. It is the way the country/culture is. I've had some wonderful trips there but you do need to keep your wits about you and understand the culture.

Sheffield, United...
3. Re: Egypt

Thank you for the advice, i read the post about Shoestring and it does look very daunting but rightfully at times it may be pot luck as to who you end up with.

Am I right to assume that if shoestring are doing tours that it will be safe enough to join the tour and places they take you?

I was reading their website and they do mention safety, being a novice am I right to assume they will not do tours if it was not safe.

I will hold fire and make sure I read up more before taking a step forward.

Sheffield
reviews: 93
4. Re: Egypt

Do check the FCO's website and get good travel insurance.

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
reviews: 85
5. Re: Egypt

David is right. Keep up with the FOC advice and check that your insurance company covers you for the itinerary you want to do. They should now cover you if the situation changes between your time of booking and departure. Most do now but check, check, check and get it in writing.

This isn't to scare you but it is so important to be covered wherever you're travelling. And in Egypt as many countries, health and safety is optional :-)

I think you are right to try and check the company some more to be sure it's what you want. Have you looked at other companies? Explore is adventurous but safe. Long established and has a wide variety of trips in Egypt.

Sheffield, United...
6. Re: Egypt

Thanks didn't know about explore, just had a look and your right they seem to look a lot more appealing.

Sheffield
reviews: 93
7. Re: Egypt

Another vote for Explore - I did the Caucasus with them and had a great (though sometimes rather basic) time with them. An excellent British tour manager too.

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Avebury, Egypt
reviews: 86
8. Re: Egypt

Now that Explore has been mentioned ..... I have done 5 tours with them (Libya, Eastern Turkey, Egypt, Eretria and Iceland) and would recommend them.

If you express willingness to share a room, you will not be charged the single supplement - and if there happens to be an odd number of same sex singles willing to share, you MAY get a room to yourself, after all! I have shared occasionally - it is no big deal - when I felt that the single supplement was excessive.

9. Re: Egypt

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 4:05 am, April 23, 2014

10. Re: Egypt

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 4:05 am, April 23, 2014
Edited: 4:05 am, April 23, 2014

Reply to: Egypt
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted