We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trying to decide where to go next month

Kansas City...
Trying to decide where to go next month

Hi everyone,

I need a little help. I have a few days next month to travel within the United States, but don't know where to go. I was looking at possible the Florida Keys (Key West) or Savannah, Ga. I have heard nice things about both. I really just want to relax, see some nice sites, read and eat. I am not much of a partier but would like a beautiful view. I am open to other destinations, but only want to spend about four nights total and about $1500.00. Also, since I travel solo, public transportation is important. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

2 replies to this topic
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Macau, Holiday Travel
reviews: 2,852
1. Re: Trying to decide where to go next month

Hello TGum

Welcome to the Solo Travel forum.

From Kansas City, you could fly to Houston and make your way into Galveston. Perhaps Austin / San Antonio if you want a bit of activity. These are nice places to relax and enjoy some leisurely activity and downtime, which should be quite accessible from KC.

Good luck with your research and hope you've a nice holiday.

Las Vegas, Nevada
reviews: 68
2. Re: Trying to decide where to go next month

Given your criteria -- water-side location, great food, interesting sights to see, available and convenient public transportation, the first place that comes to mind is: San Francisco. Second: New Orleans. Third: Vancouver, BC (third because it is not actually within the United States).

Florida Keys during hurricane season may be a problem. But it probably means prices are a little cheaper. Key West is small enough that it's walkable, but unless you are really really into fishing (or drinking at bars where Ernest Hemingway once drank), I'm not sure if it's a four-day solo trip all by itself.

Savannah is a very good choice. Lots of history and good food. And, while it is coastal, you would not have the same hurricane possibilities as you would on a little tiny island out in the Gulf of Mexico. I'm not sure if your public transportation needs would be satisfied, however.

Another similar choice: Charleston, SC, which is really popular, for pretty much the reasons as Savannah: history, water-side setting, great food.

Reply to: Trying to decide where to go next month
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted