We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 week sole vacation - where?

Ghent, Belgium
1 week sole vacation - where?

I'm a 29 y.o. guy from Belgium. I'll have ~1 week of holidays in September. None of my friends will be able to join.

Any suggestions of possible places to go to and things to do by myself? Seaside would be nice (Italy, Spain, Greece?). Or some interesting acitvities (wine courses, kite-surfing lessons, language classes)? I've already been in most European capitals, so a simple weekend trip is not considered.

If you have done something similar, please let me know! Thank you!

6 replies to this topic
Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
reviews: 80
1. Re: 1 week sole vacation - where?

I was just reading about someone who did a food trip to Italy, that could apply to any of the countries you mentioned. ie they went to mozzarella, aceto balsamico tradizionale de Modena, prosciutto, Parmesan. You could include a beach in that and - perfect! It's on my list ;-)

Kite surfing or wine sounds good too. I would guess the wine trip should include public transport or a coach - so you can really get to know the wines.

Edited: 6:47 am, August 16, 2013
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
reviews: 182
2. Re: 1 week sole vacation - where?

Barcelona is an idea, if you have not been there. A good blend of culture, history, and beach. Also Istanbul might work for you, too. There are great local forum board here on TripAdvisor for both.

London, United...
reviews: 7
3. Re: 1 week sole vacation - where?

How about a week in the Canaries? I had completely dismissed them up until 2 years ago. Now I've been to 4 of the islands (Lanzarote being my favourite, it's beautiful). I also adore Barcelona. I was so nervous to go there on my own for the first time last year but did lots of research and then completely fell in love with it and now I go back whenever I can. If your week off is at the end of September you could go to Barcelona for the La Merce celebrations (20-24 Sept). Come over to the BCN forum for more info. :-)

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Macau, Holiday Travel
reviews: 2,881
4. Re: 1 week sole vacation - where?

French Riviera is always nice and September would be a decent time of year to visit. Amalfi Coastline in Italy is also an area that I rate quite highly, but I wouldn't rule out trying something in Tuscany as well. I'd add these to your bucket list for further research.

Good luck with your holiday planning.

London, United...
reviews: 2
5. Re: 1 week sole vacation - where?

Why not try Cornwall in the UK? Nice beaches and coastline and lots to do: different museums and even a few vineyards! You could have surfing lessons at lots of beaches.

Delphi,Greece
Destination Expert
for Delphi
reviews: 85
6. Re: 1 week sole vacation - where?

Paleros is a traditional village with a few low key touristy touches on west mainland Greece. Beautiful setting by the Ionian sea, Lefkas island (connected with mainland on a small bridge) is only 30 minutes drive away. Nearest airport is the Preveza one, 40 minutes away. This place http://www.paleros.eu/ offers spartan but decent accommodation, their traditional tavern attached, diving lessons, macrobiotic diet if you wish, often yoga workshops and tours/activities on the area. Family running the place will make you feel like home. A real gem.

Edited: 3:52 pm, August 18, 2013
Reply to: 1 week sole vacation - where?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted