We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Uk Solo getaway

London, United...
Uk Solo getaway

Hi there,

I'm feeling the need to escape from my life for a few days ASAP. I'm a female in my early 30's, live in the Home Counties and thought that it would probably be sensible that my first solo trip wasn't too far from my comfort zone - no more than 3 hours drive. I have a car to get myself around and have been looking at the Cotswolds or Stratford upon Avon, but am open to suggestions.

Really hope that someone out there can help - maybe even point me in a direction that I hadn't previously thought of.

Thanks

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
reviews: 85
1. Re: Uk Solo getaway

Cupcake, I would leave it until the 1st week in September when the schools go back. Lovely month weatherwise and still plenty to do.

Bath would be easy. Small beautiful city with lots of rural locations around.

Lynton/Lynmouth for beautiful walks, small cinema and good restaurants. Little Switzerland by the sea. Plenty of stately homes, wildlife.

What do you want to do when you get there? Some interests you have would help.

kent
Destination Expert
for Kent
reviews: 72
2. Re: Uk Solo getaway

Hello cupcake and welcome to the solo forum.

There are so many lovely places to visit that it's hard to limit suggestions to just one. I agree with Sue that Bath is well worth a visit, especially to the Roman Baths.

But..... how about Dorset? Bridport and Lyme Regis are wonderful Georgian towns, set in stunning scenery, and a good base for visiting many lovely beaches (Seatown is one of my personal favourites) and villages, including Tolpuddle and Corfe ( for Corfe Castle).

Or....Kent? ... OK I am biased, but my county has a wealth of beaches, villages,castles and Canterbury is not only one of Englands prettiest towns, but again another good base for visiting the coast and surrounding villages, as well as a vibrant food and drink scene. Whitstable has some of the best fish restaurants in the UK, and walks along the Pilgrims Way or the Weald will blow the cobwebs away.

Or.. Norfolk? Empty roads, sleepy villages ( Swaffham is lovely) the Broads and again, history, gardens or just people watching from good country pubs.

If you could delay your trip until the schools have re opened, you'll have the benefit of quieter roads and emptier beaches.

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Pecs, Budapest
reviews: 6
3. Re: Uk Solo getaway

Another suggestion. Norfolk, staying in Norwich..

London, United...
4. Re: Uk Solo getaway

Hello and thanks for all your helpful suggestions - I really appreciate it. I think for this trip I'd like to spend some time maybe doing a bit of 'gentle' walking or even cycling - something to blow the cobwebs away! Somewhere with a good food market would be lovely and good pubs to watch the world go by, perfect.

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
reviews: 85
5. Re: Uk Solo getaway

Go the extra mile and go to Devon - Lynmouth. Thatched pub overlooking the sea, boat trips down the coast. Walk to Watersmeet and have tea in 20's tearoom by a waterfall, go up the cliff railway & walk along the cliffs at the Valley of the Rocks. Tapas place, tiny cinema with latest films. Up drive the hill onto the moors for fabulous views red deer and wild Exmoor ponies. Open top bus across the moor with views to Porlock or Minehead - that will blow the cobwebs away! Take a safari by jeep deep into the moors. 3½hrs either by 3o3 or motorway

Rye, United Kingdom
reviews: 28
6. Re: Uk Solo getaway

Hi, I'm an eary 30's female solo traveller & I've had some really good trips in the UK. Bath is lovely although not loads to do if you're alone. Poole/weymouth area is great, the new forest is lovely for walks. I've also enjoyed many short breaks in the Yorkshire dales, moors, co. Durham, Liverpool. When you get brave & want to drive alittle further, York is an amazing city with plenty to keep a solo traveller busy for days!!

Have a nice time & lets us know how it goes.

7. Re: Uk Solo getaway

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, August 20, 2014