We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Solo beach/spa vacation

Germantown, Maryland
reviews: 4
Solo beach/spa vacation

I am a female traveler from Maryland looking to take a nice relaxing solo trip in Sept/October. I would like a beachfront hotel/spa and I would like it to be in the U.S. (no international travel) I am not looking to go to a club or parties. I would like a place I can walk along the beach, relax, visit museums, have spa treatments and shop. If possible it would be nice if it were a beach not too far from a diverse city where I can explore on my own without a car. My budget would be no more than $350 a night for the hotel/resort. Thank you in advance for your suggestions

8 replies to this topic
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Macau, Holiday Travel
reviews: 2,879
1. Re: Solo beach/spa vacation

Hello Shiloup,

Without leaving the continental US, if you get too far into October, you might need to look closely into locations in Florida, perhaps the Carolinas or southern California. From Maryland, Florida destinations probably presents the most options for you. Might try Pensacola or Naples for starters but there are plenty of other destinations.

I might also suggest spending some time researching directly on the Florida destination pages. Here is the link if interested.

Florida forum

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g28930-i18-Florida…

Florida Vacation pages

tripadvisor.com/Tourism-g28930-Florida-Vacat…

Hope this is useful and that you find a nice place to take holiday.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
reviews: 182
2. Re: Solo beach/spa vacation

The other place I'd consider would be Puerto Rico, possibly San Juan. There is a lot of things to offer in the city and beach line is not too bad.

Germantown, Maryland
3. Re: Solo beach/spa vacation

Thank you so much for your suggestions. I think I will look into Florida and San Diego for late September.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
reviews: 57
4. Re: Solo beach/spa vacation

I actually cannot think of a hotel in San Diego that meets all your requirements.

The beaches are not really near the museums so you'd have to take buses to get around.

Could you handle having a bay view without an actual beach??

The only lovely on the sand hotel with spa services and easy access(15min. across the bay by ferry/bus) would be the Hotel del Coronado which might be over your budget.

One other possibility might be the Catamaran Hotel which is in lovely Mission Bay Park with its manmade bays for water activities and miles of green space and trails for walking etc. It is one block from the ocean .

You'd have to take buses to get to museums and better shopping.

Germantown, Maryland
5. Re: Solo beach/spa vacation

Thank you so much for your reply!! It is very helpful. The Hotel del Coronado is beautiful and they have some specials on their site that can fit into my budget. The Catamaran is also very nice and the prices are perfect. I think I will go with one of those hotels. I don't mind catching the bus or ferry to get where I need but it sounds like Hotel de Coronado is closet to activities. Are there more things to do in Mission Bay or Coronado? What would be your pick? And are hotels like Tower23 on Ocean Blvd and Pacific Terrace on Diamond street far away from shopping and other activities.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
6. Re: Solo beach/spa vacation

I didn't mention Pacific Terrace or Tower 23 because they don't offer spa services on site(that I know of)

They both face the ocean in our Pacific Beach neighborhood.They are both quite nice! Tower 23 does not have a pool. I am not sure what sort of "shopping" you have in mind since you are a USA citizen and most chain stores will be similar to those near your home.

The "shopping in Pacific Beach tends to be souvenir sort of surfy stuff or some basic chain stores but not malls or nice boutiques.

Coronado is actually its own separate city with a small town feel., Orange Ave. there is like "Main St." and there are stores/restaurants etc. It is a fairly high end city.

Mission Bay (look on a map)Park has 26miles of green space/manmade bays/walking trails etc. but not stores --more parklike.

The Pacific Beach neighborhood along the ocean has a lower key surfer/beachy feel with restaurants/bars but very low key except for the lovely restaurant in the Tower 23 hotel called JRDN.

It will be about an hour on a bus from Pacific Beach to downtown and Balboa Park where there are lovely museums /theater/outdoor entertainment etc.

www.balboapark.org

The Catamaran Hotel has a special pick up arrangement with our hop on hop off bus tour if that would interest you:

www.trolleytours.com

The best rooms at the Cat face the bay!!

Edited: 1:39 pm, August 15, 2013
Germantown, Maryland
7. Re: Solo beach/spa vacation

Thank you so much for answering all my questions. You have been a tremendous help!! I wasn't looking for fancy shopping just basic chain stores like you said, the kind of shopping I would find at home. But mostly I just wanted some activities (museums outdoor entertainment etc) not too far away from the beach. I am definitely booking my trip to San Diego and I think Catamaran may be the hotel for me. And I am going to visit the trolley site. Thanks again for the great advice!!!

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
8. Re: Solo beach/spa vacation

You are very welcome!

If you want more advice come and ask more questions on the San Diego forum.

We are very friendly!!

Reply to: Solo beach/spa vacation
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted