We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

26yr old Female Solo Traveller to America.

Devonport, Australia
26yr old Female Solo Traveller to America.

I'm looking at heading over to America from my home country of Australia in August 2014. At this stage I am preparing to travel solo for about 5 weeks and hoping to see New York, Las Vegas, Los Angeles/Anaheim, San Francisco and potentially Orlando if time permits. I have a couple of friends keen to come too but are worried about gathering enough money in time. I'm just wondering if it is safe to travel alone and any tips on doing so. Cheers :)

Edited: 5:42 pm, August 10, 2013
20 replies to this topic
Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
reviews: 78
1. Re: 26yr old Female Solo Traveller to America.

Hi Ange, there have been a number of trip reports for those places from people travelling solo with no problems.

Los Angeles, without transport – 7 days March

tripadvisor.co.uk/…11573084

San Francisco – 4 days April

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g60713-i30-k1902…

NYC October -5 days

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k16008…

I know there is one for Las Vegas too. If you go to the forum and put 'solo trip reports' into the small search box at the top of the threads it should bring them up.

If you go to the destination forums and read the Top Questions on the right of the page you will usually find one on safety. Or you could post a question on each asking if there are areas to avoid.

Edited: 10:42 am, August 11, 2013
Washington DC...
reviews: 5
2. Re: 26yr old Female Solo Traveller to America.

Hello Ange;

There is no reason not to travel to the US alone. I will reiterate/ add to Sue's caution that you should post on individual destination fora about what you plan to do and what things you want to see. People on individual fora, or at your hotel, can tell you areas of a city to avoid, if relevant. (Generally speaking, these are not areas the average tourist visits.) If you are planning to go to nightclubs, etc. the concerns are different than if you are going to Disneyland. Basic precautions apply all over: don't flash money or jewelry, etc.

Boston...
3. Re: 26yr old Female Solo Traveller to America.

Hi,

I am 23 years old and live here in the states and have been to all the places you wish to travel. There is no reason why you could not go alone. As long as you do not flash and money or valuables you will be fine. Just be aware that while Los Angeles and New York have a lot to offer and a great amount of attractions they are both rather large and very congested and may be rather overwhelming if not properly prepared.

The only place I suggest you do not travel to if your friends are unable to come with you is Las Vegas. It is a complete party city and simply has little to no enjoyable solo sites.

new jersey
reviews: 41
4. Re: 26yr old Female Solo Traveller to America.

Angel, how are you planning on getting around--flights? renting a car? That will have a big impact on where you want to go.

All places you mentoned are nice, but Orlando (and NY) are out of the way from your other destinations mentioned. 5 weeks should suffice--unless you're planning to drive everywhere, then you're eating into your time-still is possible, but you'll be doing ALOT of drviing.

Gosport, United...
reviews: 1
5. Re: 26yr old Female Solo Traveller to America.

Yes Sahy is right, the states are safe, I've traveled solo and never had any problems. Keep safe and enjoy it.

Devonport, Australia
6. Re: 26yr old Female Solo Traveller to America.

Thanks so much guys, Most of my travelling i have decided I will do by plane as it will definitely chew up some of my holiday time. I'm also just going to stick to my 4 main destinations and unfortunately leave Orlando out. I just don't want to spread myself too thin and have quality time rather than quantity. I really appreciate your help. It makes me alot more confident about travelling to the states, now all i need is the next 12 months to go faster :) Thanks again :)

Edited: 9:21 pm, August 23, 2013
Devonport, Australia
7. Re: 26yr old Female Solo Traveller to America.

I also am a non drinker - which is probably unusual for my age group - But being a non drinker/smoker has allowed me to save the money to go on this trip in the first place, So night clubs and the party scene are not my cup of tea :) Thanks again :)

8. Re: 26yr old Female Solo Traveller to America.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 7:35 am, August 24, 2013

kent
Destination Expert
for Kent
reviews: 58
9. Re: 26yr old Female Solo Traveller to America.

Post 8 reported for advertising/promotion.

England
reviews: 126
10. Re: 26yr old Female Solo Traveller to America.

I have travelled to Vegas solo at around your age. No problems. Enjoy your trip.

It will be very hot in some of those places in August.

Reply to: 26yr old Female Solo Traveller to America.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted