We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Male 31, First time traveling alone.. Location Ideas??!!

New Jersey
Male 31, First time traveling alone.. Location Ideas??!!

Whats up everybody?

So I pretty much decided that I want to take my next vacation on my own. Any ideas where to go? Im from New Jersey and live in Cali so nowhere in the US.

I want to be able to explore but also do the beach as well.. Ive already done the Caribbean, Europe etc.. I was thinking maybe Thailand this time, I never been out that way.

I appreciate you guys feedback.

Thanks!

Kev

Bangkok, Thailand
reviews: 90
1. Re: Male 31, First time traveling alone.. Location Ideas??!!

Thailand is a pretty painless destination and easy to DIY. The current poor US dollar exchange rate and inflation have made it more expensive than it used to be, but you can still find quite comfy rooms for less than $25 and tasty Thai street food will cost about $1 per dish.

Philippines offers less touristy beach destinations and English skills are better than in Thailand, but as far as I know there are fewer cultural sights and infrastructure is poorer. At least there was very little to see in Manila compared to Bangkok.

In Thailand don't try to visit too many locations in the time available. A minimum of five days per location including the travel days would let you actually enjoy each place and won't leave you exhausted. In two weeks you basically could enjoy two locations with some additional days used for day trips further out.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 42
2. Re: Male 31, First time traveling alone.. Location Ideas??!!

Australia? New Zealand? South Africa?

New Jersey
3. Re: Male 31, First time traveling alone.. Location Ideas??!!

Goodsoil,

Thanks, im pretty much set on Thailand. I think that I am going to do about 4 days in Bangkok and 4 days at a beach probably in Phuket..

Think that would be good?

What area do you think that I should shoot for in Bangkok? I want to be close to nightlife, but also be able to explore the culture..

Thanks Again!

Kevin

New Jersey
4. Re: Male 31, First time traveling alone.. Location Ideas??!!

Tet,

I plan on doing Australia in 2014..

Thanks!

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
5. Re: Male 31, First time traveling alone.. Location Ideas??!!

You won't be disappointed. Have a great trip.

Florida
reviews: 30
6. Re: Male 31, First time traveling alone.. Location Ideas??!!

1. Rio de Janeiro- there is something about this city that truly made me feel at home. I just blended in right away. total relaxation. if you want to wear a bikini/ boardshorts and flip flops all day. This is the place. Stop at any boteco(small bar) and have a caipirinha/caipiroska and you will forget all your worries.

2. Manuel Antonio - as the locals say “pura vida” pure life. real living. Anyone that has been to costa rica know this is a very special place. its totally relaxing. Its so natural and not commercialized that you truly feel your in paradise.

3. Paris - there is something about walking along the champs de elysee, that makes you feel pretty important. Paris is a true representation of everything european/cosmopolitan/cool. Having a glass of wive and a coq au vin whilst overlooking the seine, truly makes you feel like you have arrived.

4. Roma - if you want to feel like you are lost in time and feeling really sexy whilst doing so. Rome is the city for you. buying the softest Italian leather eating the creamiest gelato and listening to young men shouting bella bella all day is any woman’s paradise.

5. Negril - as a person that was born and raised on the island I have a soft spot for this city. Laying in a bamboo hut, listening to waves crash against the rocks. Sipping on a sweet rum punch and watching the most brilliant sunset will make you the happiest person alive.

6. New york - now every once in a while we need to feel like we are on a high, and this is the city for that. Sometimes you need to move so fast that you are unable to think and this will happen right here. there is a high from being move from place to place by the contsant movement of thousands of people.

7. San francisco - as a foodie i had to add a food paradise and this is it. Where you can go and every single meal you eat tastes liek the best meal you have ever had. its right here. these people put tlc in their food.

8. antigua guatemala - if you just need to get away from it all and zone out. something about being nestled in the mountains with the yummiest food cheapest massages and sweetest people will do it for you.

Bangkok, Thailand
reviews: 90
7. Re: Male 31, First time traveling alone.. Location Ideas??!!

8 days in Thailand is not much considering that flights between Los Angeles and Bangkok take 16 - 24 hours one-way, but some people do trips like that since the cannot have longer vacations. You definitely want to fly between Bangkok and your chosen beach destination. If you book well in advance, to local low-cost airlines have good prices (Nok Air, Air Asia, Thai Smile).

Phuket is quite a valid choice, but check the weather patterns from TripAdisor Phuket forum Top Questions. With such a short stay you do not want to arrive during a month that is likely to have lots of rain. Koh Samui is somewhat comparable to Phuket and has different weather patterns. If you absolutely have to travel during the heaviest rainy season in September and October, the coast of Gulf of Thailand will have the least rain. Options could be Hua Hin, Koh Chang or Pattaya depending on which kinds of activities you are looking for. These places are 2-5 hours from Bangkok by car/bus/public van. You can find out what these places are like from their respective forums.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
8. Re: Male 31, First time traveling alone.. Location Ideas??!!

Pepslittleone, the OP wants to go out of the USA and has done Europe already.

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 8
9. Re: Male 31, First time traveling alone.. Location Ideas??!!

I just did the hole solo travel to Asia, also as i first timer.

My suggestion would be to go to Phuket first opposed to Bangkok, this will allow you to ease your way into asia a fair bit. As Phuket is a tourist destination you will fine it alot easier to settle in and its not all high rises and caos.

I did the reverse and feel that i missed alot of Bangkok, having known what i no now after spending a few weeks in Phuket i would love to re-do Bangkok.

I am a 29yo male. any questions shoot me an email. You are going to love it there, try and stay a few more days if you can it will fly by before you no it..

HAVE FUN.

new jersey
reviews: 41
10. Re: Male 31, First time traveling alone.. Location Ideas??!!

NJ/Cali,

Nice problem to have huh? Sounds like you're only going for about 8 days? Also when are you planning to go?

I believe eight days is not long enough to fly anywhere in Asia. Perhaps Western Europe would be as far as I'd go given that short time frame. ( I mean it is feasible, but you're not giving yourself, nor the destination much time to REALLY enjoy things.)

Have you considered Costa Rica? I'd push you to consider Colombia (much safer than years past) or Ecuador. All three offer "a little of everything"--beach, mountains, jungle, urban etc...... And relatively close destinations. Plus living in NJ and Cali (I did the same), I'm assuming you have at least an elementry level of Spanish????

Edited: 9:49 am, August 15, 2013