We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ways to pass time in an airport on your own

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
reviews: 85
Ways to pass time in an airport on your own

I wondered what other people do. Maybe something different from reading or shopping.

As I have 6hrs travel to the airport I'm going stir crazy with another 3hrs followed by a long flight.

I have practised/learned dances using ipod and sheets, not physically got up and danced ;-)

I practise some simple phrases in a foreign language on my ipod.

I have walked up, down and round steps outside for half an hour for some exercise. Security came out to see what this strange behaviour was.

Looking for a way to do computerised Solitaire without paying a fortune for a phone or ipad as I can mindlessly do that for hours.

So, what is your way to pass the time?

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
reviews: 74
1. Re: Ways to pass time in an airport on your own

Sadly, I can while away the longest layover just surfing the internet. I always buy a day pass to a lounge, if my flight status doesn't automatically entitle me to entry. But, I also take a netbook so I can sort, crop, fix my vacation photos.

You could always sign up for this:

MeetAtTheAirport.com

:)

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
reviews: 60
2. Re: Ways to pass time in an airport on your own

I chat with people, get a massage, have a meal/drink,do puzzles like crosswords or sudoku , write in a journal, sometimes do yoga(if it is a really looooong layover)and of course walk back and forth!

Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
reviews: 92
3. Re: Ways to pass time in an airport on your own

I love airports (but not all of them), there is so much to do: visit the shops (especially bookstores), eat, read, eventually chat with people.

I don't have any problem to spend a few hours in many airports (except the very small airports with only 3 shops and two fast food, if the choice is too limited).

London, United...
reviews: 7
4. Re: Ways to pass time in an airport on your own

I thought long and hard and in the end decided that investing in an iPad mini would be worth it. I've had it for a week and I love my new gadget and can't wait to take it on my travels with me! And the mini is cheaper than the full-size one. You might want to reconsider? ;-)

Delphi,Greece
Destination Expert
for Delphi
reviews: 86
5. Re: Ways to pass time in an airport on your own

I think it depends on which airport and on what condition/type of travel I find my self into. Some of the airports have interesting features, for example on Athens airport there is a small museum with ancient stuff found when excavating to built it, you can pleasantly spend half an hour or so there! A decent variety of all kind of shops and eateries too.

I am not so much into shopping, but I like browsing into book stores or shops selling local products. I enjoy a long meal and of course get to chat with people, when I find someone interesting to chat with. I avoid engange my self on long boring conversations though. I usually spend lots of time reading too. If I am going to travel on a new destination, I very often have a guidebook on my carry on. So I enjoy reading that one. Very often I purchase a guidebook for a whole country even if I plan to visit one or two areas. I love reading about different places even if I do not plan to visit this time around. My love for reading has save me from many boring hours, especially on very small airports such as Orly or Belfast International...

I admit I am not too much into modern gadgets, my mobile phone is an ancient one without internet access and I prefer paper books upon kiddles or what they are called. If I am on a really long stop-over though, I might seek the nearest public computer -if there is one- and spend a couple of hours online...

Of course walking around and trying to find the nearest smoking area is an other way to kill a few hours lol

Last but not least, personaly I do not feel very comfortable leaving the airport, but I know of many people who would take a quick trip in a near-by town or place of interest..... Once one of my friends rushed to the near by IKEA while on a 2 and a half hour stop over in Athens airport, but I do not like such shopping and I would feel very stressed doing so even if IKEA is nearly next door . (I would head to Attica Zoo myself if I had ample time ...)

Willemstad, Curacao
reviews: 82
6. Re: Ways to pass time in an airport on your own

I dont like the food the serve in the airplane so I could use the time to get a decent meal on the airport. I always bring a book to read or have my guidebook with me which I can read again. It also depends on the airport. Some airports have shops etc and other ones are very small. Also some airports down here like Bogota or Miami I always see there people I know so I can have a chat with them :)

Sydney/Melbourne
reviews: 47
7. Re: Ways to pass time in an airport on your own

The longer I am at an airport the more likely it is that I will buy something which I will later regret. The more tired I am on arrival the more catastrophic the purchase.

Last year it was a hideous multicolored frock purchased at Heathrow for no other reason than it was silk and on special. It didn't even fit!

Then there was the time I bought purple eyeshadow in Dubai. Well, it was on special and it was Chanel.

Thank goodness my iPad now keeps me entertained and out of the shops.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
reviews: 74
8. Re: Ways to pass time in an airport on your own

To the OP, you mentioned buying an iPad or device just to play solitaire. How about saving $500 and bringing a deck of cards?

Tualatin, Oregon
reviews: 25
9. Re: Ways to pass time in an airport on your own

Internet and game apps on laptop. There are outlets you can charge on anyway at the airport. Magazine, books.

I wouldn't get an ipad. Apple is outrageously overpriced. The only way I would go apple is if you sold your current ipod (I assume you have an older one that can't access the internet) and then buy a used ipod touch so you can play on the internet and with game apps. Just saw a 2nd generation ipod touch go for $70 on ebay and since it can replace your current ipod, total cost (minus money you'd get from ipod) is around $50. You'd have to be able to handle the small screen though - I personally like bigger.

For a bigger screen, there are a million other cheaper and better options than ipad. I'd personally go 10" if the ipod touch is too small. 7" really strains my eyes and I can't really do anything productive on it.

Edited: 12:36 pm, April 27, 2013
Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
reviews: 85
10. Re: Ways to pass time in an airport on your own

Nicoleta & Heehee thanks for the suggestions. Living in a beautiful but remote place it is hard to know what each gadget is really like & yes getting secondhand is probably something I will have to do. I spend more time looking for watersport stuff than gadgets as it's more fun to me.

Also want something that I can stick in the safe on arrival and have nothing to do with electronics or the outside world when on hol.

Trouble with cards, JA is space to play and it doesn;t hypnotise me for the long haul as much as online stuff & as for that Meet thing uuugh! I'm known for being able to find weird people without even trying!

Mariah, yes that does pass the time. Try a trip involving Cape Town ( excellent smokers bar with view) Johannasburg (Irish Bar) and Maun (BA Lounge with food, drinks, mags & setees £10)

Evame, I got an unexpected stay in an unappealing Sydney airport of 7hrs. I ended up buying the most expensive teddy bear in the shop after 5hrs. I'd spotted it on arrival and said 'I could never justify that price'. I still have it and it is just beautiful.

Yes, I go with a whole bag of books & puzzles which is why I thought one gadget could do the lot.....and I would be able to read all those online articles I don't usually have time for.