We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thinking about my first solo trip

Newark, Delaware
Thinking about my first solo trip

Well, I'm 28 and I'm considering a solo trip for the usual reasons ( poor or not interested friends / family ), but I'm not sure I'm ready to do the completely Solo thing so was considering a tour that doesn't go out of their way to penalize us for going alone.

A few locations I had in mind were the Galapagos, Peru ( Macchu Picu and the Incan Train ), China, Tibet, Egypt, and probably a whole list of others

I have plenty of time as I have to wait for my vacation time to replenish, but I was looking at the newer Discovery Adventures and was wondering anyone had used or heard anything about them?

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
reviews: 23
1. Re: Thinking about my first solo trip

Welcome to Trip Advisor and to the Solo Travel Forum!

I went to the Galapagos Island with GapAdventures and, though I very rarely do tours, I had a fantastic experience.

The tour was for a maximum of 16 people and had a very international group of people. The majority were in their mid- twenties to early thirties although the youngest was about 20 and the oldest (me) was 50 something.

I shared a cabin with another solo traveller (so no solo supplement.) and found it was no problem.

A number of people on the GapAdventures Galapagos tour had also been on the Manchu Picu, Inca Trail with GA and had really enjoyed their trip there too.

I haven't been to China or Tibet yet, but would consider a GapAdventre tour there.

I have been to Egypt on my own and loved it. I arranged some guides on a day to day basis, but also did a certain amount of wandering on my own. There is a certain amount of "commercial" hassling in Egypt and in Jordan (although not in Syria, which I adored. The Old City in Damascus is one of the most beautiful and friendly places I have ever visited.) so you might want to save the Middle East solo for when you are feeling more confident.

You might want to try posting also on the Galapagos Forum:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowForum-g294310-i6637-Ga… and both lurking and posting of the Forums for the other places that interest you.

Posting a question about Discovery Adventures might turn up some who have used them.

But please keep posting here. I am always being surprised at the information held in our collective wisdom.

You might also look at Belize for a first solo trip. It has a nice balance of natural attractions such as rain forests, diving and snorkelling, (including whale sharks during April, May and June) and cultural sights such as wonderful Mayan temple.

The primary language of Belize is English and, except for Belize City, the country is reasonably safe for solo travellers.

Belize is geographically in central America, but is, in many ways, culturally Carribean.

Newark, Delaware
2. Re: Thinking about my first solo trip

Thank you for the great advice and Belize makes for an interesting option, I have a co worker who went and loved it, but I hadn't really considered it, not quite sure why with English being widely used and all the natural and cultural attractions, it's an awefully tempting starting spot.

I think it's not smuch the locations I find intimidating ( even if some I should ), but more so the planning of it, I guess i'm still kind of used to the pre-planned schedules that tours offer.

I've come across the GapAdventures in some of my early searchings and forum lurking and heard good things so I'll keep them in mind too

I've still got plenty of time, just trying to feel things out, get some insight, and see what options are availible.

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
reviews: 23
3. Re: Thinking about my first solo trip

My favourite place to stay in Belize is the Xanadu Resort. It is small, has kitchens in all its accomodation, is near a couple of local supermarkets and is close enough to town to walk easily along he beach and far enough to be peaceful.

Perhaps more importantly for a first time solo traveller, it can and will arrange day (and half day) tours and activities.

I sent my daughter (just a bit younger than you and lives in the States) and her best friend there for a birthday present and they liked it as much as I did.

http://www.xanaduresort-belize.com/

Have a look under the "activities" tab for day tours.

For cheaper options (or more luxurious ones) try the TA Belize Forum: tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g291959-i1455-Beli…

For a very different sort of holiday, have a look at my post here on Japan. It started out as a reply to you before I realised that I needed to post it as a more general topic.

I should warn you that once you try solo travel, you may find yourself spoiled and less willing to have the "but we agreed to do this" and "but you promised that if I went to the art museum with you, you would come shopping with me" conversations.

A good guidebook (I'm partial to Lonely Planet Guides, but others may differ) can help you decide what you want to see (or skip), you can look at tour itineraries for ideas, you can carry a small relatively inexpensive net book computer (wi fi or LAN connections are almost everywhere) and a Global Kindle can help reduce the weight of books to amuse you when you don't feel like going out or want to sit comfotably over coffee or tea. (It can also hold those guide books).

IME solo travel can really help your self confidence as you find that you can negotiate an unfamiliar envionment with more courage and imagination than you thought you posessed. (or maybe it is just me who is shy and a bit self-concious?).

Edited: 5:54 am, May 31, 2010
4. Re: Thinking about my first solo trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:40 am, November 28, 2010