We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

handwashing clothes

Reading, United...
reviews: 57
handwashing clothes

We are off to Antarctica on the Plancius in January. My question is do we need an environmentally friendly detergent for handwashing our smalls on the ship?

NYC
reviews: 62
1. Re: handwashing clothes

Why not use one regardless of the rules. They rinse easier too.

Reading, United...
reviews: 57
2. Re: handwashing clothes

Good point but just curious what the rules are. We do have some environmentally friendly shower and shampoo items from when we've been in the amazon which I was thinking of taking but don't have the detergent yet. Considering weight limits do you know if it's posssible to buy it in Ushuaia?

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth
reviews: 29
3. Re: handwashing clothes

There are quite a few camping type stores in Ushuaia so you may be able to pick some up there. Safer to bring your own tho just in case its not stocked.

And yes the preference on the enviro conscious ships is no aerosol deoderants or hairsprays - and enviro friendly soaps, shampoos and washing liquids.

Boston...
reviews: 92
4. Re: handwashing clothes

I used:

Dr. Bronner's Magic Soap Travel Organic Liquid Soap

I actually came across this video after reading a travel blog and bought the Aloksak and Rick Steve clothesline as well. I really didn't want my clothes sitting in the sink so the Aloksak was perfect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBmxqbHsVl8

North Liberty, Iowa
reviews: 7
5. Re: handwashing clothes

If you're going to try a new kind of soap for laundry, you might want to try it out at home ahead of time. It really sucks to find out that you react to something in a new soap/deodorant while you're traveling. :)

Michigan
reviews: 18
6. Re: handwashing clothes

I have been using Dr. Bronner's for years and really like it. Take care not to use to much when doing laundry or you'll spend a lot of time rinsing. Minty fresh clothes!

7. Re: handwashing clothes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, August 23, 2014