We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommended Trips/Boats for Very Active People?

New York City, New...
reviews: 12
Recommended Trips/Boats for Very Active People?

Does anyone have recommendations for a boat or itinerary that offers more in the way of physical activities?

I’m trying to plan a trip for a group of younger travelers (late twenties through mid thirties) who are athletic and outdoorsy. We want the small boat experience and would prioritize a physically active itinerary over luxury features, although we’re not necessarily looking for a budget expedition. Some of the people in this group are definitely what you’d call “adrenaline junkies.”

It seems like most expeditions I've come across offer the same activities, though, so it’s hard for me to gauge the vibes of each and the differences among them. We’re aiming for something under two weeks. Any recommendations or insight are much appreciated!

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth
reviews: 29
1. Re: Recommended Trips/Boats for Very Active People?

Quark offers climbing, hiking, kayaking and some other adventures on specific cruises. Take a look at their itineraries for the symbols next to each trip.

Michigan
reviews: 18
2. Re: Recommended Trips/Boats for Very Active People?

While I can't recommend it based on personal experience (I wish!) http://www.white-desert.com/ sounds as if it may be worth investigating for your group.

New York City, New...
reviews: 12
3. Re: Recommended Trips/Boats for Very Active People?

Wow. White Desert looks amazing. But at 57K Eur per person for the 8-day trip, I think our group is priced out, too. Definitely one to put on the wish list.

One option I've come across is the "Basecamp" trip on the MV Plancius. It seems to emphasize more outdoor activities and offers scuba diving as a supplementary activity. Does anyone have thoughts on this trip? I did a search on this forum but haven't come across any reviews yet.

London, United...
reviews: 30
4. Re: Recommended Trips/Boats for Very Active People?

Off the beaten track on the Akademik Ioffe might also fit - oneoceanexpeditions.com/antarctic/itinerarie…

NYC
reviews: 62
5. Re: Recommended Trips/Boats for Very Active People?

Cheesemans Ecology Safaris emphasizes landings, smaller boats, hardcore photography. 2-3 landings per day when not at sea. May be worth checking out.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth
reviews: 29
6. Re: Recommended Trips/Boats for Very Active People?

Was posting on my phone the other night and wasnt able to link to this - this is Quarks page on the various "adventure extras" they offer

quarkexpeditions.com/special-interest-voyages

Boston...
reviews: 92
7. Re: Recommended Trips/Boats for Very Active People?

For scuba diving in Antarctica, just be aware that you must be experienced in cold water diving to participate. It's not a place to be learning, like say if you were in the Caribbean. I believe Oceanwide Expeditions offers the basecamp option on the Ortelius as well. If you google Plancius some individual blogs come up, but most of the stories are from when it got stranded down there last year so you'll have to page over a few to find them.

Halifax, England
reviews: 7
8. Re: Recommended Trips/Boats for Very Active People?

I can heartily recommend both Oneocean and the Akademik Ioffe.I went on a trip including both in 2010 and it was, literally, the highlight of my life in terms of adventuring and I speak as a 70 year old. Go for it, you'll never regret it. It is an amazing adventure.

Halifax, England
reviews: 7
9. Re: Recommended Trips/Boats for Very Active People?

I can heartily recommend both Oneocean and the Akademik Ioffe.I went on a trip including both in 2010 and it was, literally, the highlight of my life in terms of adventuring and I speak as a 70 year old. Go for it, you'll never regret it. It is an amazing adventure.

10. Re: Recommended Trips/Boats for Very Active People?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 9:35 am, August 19, 2013